Freaking Yellow Cake!

Baking By Maria925 Updated 11 May 2010 , 8:05pm by retaunton

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:08am
post #1 of 12

Why can I not bake a yellow cake that is moist??? I have made about 6 yellow cakes in the past few months (of course everyone I bake for wants YELLOW). I make sure I'm not overbaking, I cream the sugar/butter forever...I've wrapped the layers in plastic wrap, I've used the sugar water trick..I've tried buttermilk. I mean seriously!! No matter what, the cake just seems dry to me (& my husband is happy to be honest with me...LOL)!

I'm getting ready to try the "joy of baking" recipe (which I think is from The Cake Bible) and supposedly the method of mixing the flour with the butter BEFORE adding liquids should result in a moister cake.

Hmmmmm....has anyone tried this recipe???? icon_cry.gif

11 replies
iamelms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamelms Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:35am
post #2 of 12

I haven't tried that recipe, but I know this one is pretty popular. I've made it a few times and the cake always comes out really moist. HTH! Good luck!
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

Maria925 Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:45am
post #3 of 12

Thank you for the link! I was reading through the notes and notice it says "if the cake pulls away from the side of the pan, it's overbaked!" Wow!!! I thought that was a sign it was baked correctly. If that note is accurate then maybe I have just been overbaking my cakes!!!!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:51am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria925

Thank you for the link! I was reading through the notes and notice it says "if the cake pulls away from the side of the pan, it's overbaked!" Wow!!! I thought that was a sign it was baked correctly. If that note is accurate then maybe I have just been overbaking my cakes!!!!

Yep. I always thought the same thing too. Until this wonderful site. I have learned so much!!!!!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:52am
post #5 of 12

I just read that tip about pulling away from the sides in the Cake Bible. It was a huge surprise to me, too.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:06am
post #6 of 12

My grandmother always said "if it pulls away from the sides of the pan then you cooked it too long." Guess she knew what she was talking about thumbs_up.gif . Of course I never doubted her anyway.

cupcakemommy76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemommy76 Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:07am
post #7 of 12

Thanks ladies....
I too thought that when the cake pulls from the sides that it was to be cooked more so I have learned something new today. I have not been making cakes for others very long and I have not had any complaints except my dad said that it was a little dry...go figure.

Maria925 Posted 11 May 2010 , 11:31am
post #8 of 12

Well at least I feel better that I'm not the only one who thought that...LOL! I will try my regular recipe again and bake it for less time to see. But I am still going to try the "joy of baking" one also, just for comparison.

I love all the info I learn on this site icon_smile.gif

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 11 May 2010 , 11:47am
post #9 of 12

Try Sylvia Weinstock's Classic Yellow Cake recipe... I think you'll like it :0)
It's in her Sweet Celebrations book.
& I use Baker's Joy to release my cakes all the time love it!!

momma2many Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma2many Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:44pm
post #10 of 12

I am just learning about this cake decorating stuff but I have been making cakes for years. I was having the same problem recreating my grandmothers red velvet cake recipe. I learned thet butter will make a cake dry but using oil will help it be moist.

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:34pm
post #11 of 12

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1972/durable-cake-for-3d-and-wedding-cakes I've used this recipe from here and got nothing but raves from the Bride and her family who love yellow cake. I used french vanilla cake mix and pudding and used whole eggs instead.

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 11 May 2010 , 8:05pm
post #12 of 12

I always set my timer for less than the full baking time and check with a cake tester in 5 - 10 minute intervals until the cake is done. That way I don't over bake. I always bake at a lower temp than the recipe calls for as well.

Edited to add: I use the Super Enhanced Cake Formula recipe from this site with adding a box of pudding to it. I use only Pillsbury cake mixes. I always get rave reviews, supermoist and delicious. If I try a new recipe I always come back to this one. This cake is more dense, for a lighter crumb don't add my addition of the pudding mix. I use a flower nail when baking as it is a thick batter to ensure it cooks evenly. I bake at 325 degres for thirty minutes then check every ten minutes. Sometimes it takes an hour, others an hour and 5 minutes. If I am making chocolate with cocoa powder, melted chocolate and chocolate chips added it usually take 1 hour 10 minutes to bake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%