Home And Hobby Pricing Matrix

Decorating By loriana Updated 26 Nov 2014 , 6:24pm by Taymad2010

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:04am
post #1 of 33

Hi folks, I've been getting a lot of requests again for this excel document. Here it is. Sorry, my website needs some work, then I will repost it.

Note: You will need to have Microsoft Excel 97 or newer to use this spreadsheet. Instructions are on the front page. This has been created for the home and hobbyist to be able to figure out costs. The professional matrix by Alice Keeler is still available. Enjoy!

Update: Here is the link to the spreadsheet on my website:

Link to Home and Hobby Matrix:

http://www.lmk4.com/home&hobby_matrix.xls

Lorianna icon_smile.gif

32 replies
SnugglePie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnugglePie Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:31am
post #2 of 33

Thank you for posting this. I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong but I cant seem to get the link or anything to open!!

loriana Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:35am
post #3 of 33

Hey Snugglepie, when you have a chance will you try from my external website? I changed the post to reflect it.

Thanks!

SnugglePie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnugglePie Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:37am
post #4 of 33

Hey! I just tried the new link and that works perfectly. Thank you so much for sharing!

loriana Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:48am
post #5 of 33

Awesome, thanks! Ah, as to the PMs I received, here are answers for everyone at once (these are from previous emails and PMs a few years ago):

------------

I created it almost two years ago when I got really bored one day. I love playing around with excel and was getting so frustrated trying to make the matrix work for me; I don't have utilities bills, insurance or rent to factor into the price of my cakes LOL icon_smile.gif

So.... hence the Home and Hobby Matrix icon_smile.gif It really is meant to help you determine 1) batter, icing amounts, filling needed 2) cost to make a recipe 3) cost for time to produce gumpaste flowers, etc...

-------------

Hi Lisa. I found your updated cake matrix online. However, I don't have excel on my computer so I can't open it. Is there any other way for me to get it? Thanks so much for your help!

Im sorry, I wish there was icon_sad.gif It is an excel spreadsheet in essence. Since Excel is a big help when starting a small cake business, and in general for budgeting, etc.. is it something you would consider purchasing? I believe you can get some home versions of Microsoft Office which would have Word, Excel and maybe a few other things. -Lisa icon_smile.gif

------------

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for the cake matrix it is awesome.
The thing is that since I live in South America I have to adapt the matrix in spanish and with my currency, that´s why I wanted to ask you some questions.
First I was trying to put the recipes for the cakes but my husband and I couldn´t understand where do you take the unit conversion from. We looked and for example in recipe # 1 you put the Oil in gallons and then change it to tablespoons(what you used), and in the unit conversion you put a 256 that we couldn´t find out where did you take it from.
Another thing that I couldn´t figure out is the eggs, you put eggs and then 12 in the amount, bu then you put that you used 3 whites, and then in the unit conversion it says 1.
And the last thing that I couldn´t understand was the assumptions sheet. Can you tell me what is this for, and how does it works??
Sorry to bother you, but I really need your help.

Ah ok lets see if we can straighten you out to be able to convert. Some of the conversions, actually most of them, came from what Alice Keeler had in her original matrix.

FIRST QUESTION ABOUT RECIPE CONVERSIONS:
The example about the oil, the conversion basically tells me that there are 256 tbsp in 5 gallons of oil. The formula takes the "Unit conversion" and divides it by the Item:

Unit Price (end result)= How much you are using * price of the bulk Unit/(the amount of "units" in the bulk item * how many units in the little item.
See the formula in column N for this.

Here are more examples of ways you could use that:

5 gallons of oil=256 tbsp oil total of $6.00 (so to use 2 tbsp in this recipe cost $0.01)
12 eggs = 12 eggs total of $1.50 (so to use 3 eggs in this recipe cost $.38. The reason the conversion is "1" is because you use one whole egg, you can't put half an egg back in the fridge, really. Even if you are using just an egg white in a recipe, we figure you will be using 1 whole egg)
1 orange = 12 orange segments total of $.30 (so to use, say, 2 orange segments would cost $0.05)
1 package of chocolate chips = 2 cups of chips total of $2.00 (so to use 1/2 cup of chocolate chips in a recipe will cost $.50)
1 gallon of milk = 16 cups of milk total of $4.00 (so to use 1 cup of milk in a recipe would cost $.25)

SECOND QUESTION ABOUT ASSUMPTIONS
Ok this is something I didnt mess around with at all from Alice Keeler. She came up with assumptions for volume of cake batter per kind of pan, pan size, etc... by using some math formulas. (How much volume is in something that is 9X13 for instance). Some of the spreadsheets will figure out how much batter you will need for a 9" round pan. The cells there, are set to pull the data from the assumptions area since Alice already figured out that a 9" pan holds 5 cups of batter, for instance. Does this help explain?

Email back if you need any more help or explanations about my email icon_smile.gif

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:53am
post #6 of 33

That's an incredible worksheet! Thanks for all your hard work and analysis, and thanks so much for sharing it with us! thumbs_up.gif

mlocklear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlocklear Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:53am
post #7 of 33

wow, thanks!

loriana Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:54pm
post #8 of 33

You are very welcome. Hope it comes in handy.

Don't forget, whether you are a scratch baker or a mix baker, you can add up the cost of ingredients in the same tab which will calculate recipe cost.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:04pm
post #9 of 33

Thank your for sharing, Loriana! There are so many awesome, generous people on CC. I love this website icon_biggrin.gif

loriana Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:07pm
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

Thank your for sharing, Loriana! There are so many awesome, generous people on CC. I love this website icon_biggrin.gif

There sure are. So many people have helped me over the years, this was a no-brainer to share with others. I don't think a lot of people have the patience to put together a matrix, but I love working with Excel. So many people have different talents and its so neat to see them sharing their own loves and talents with others on CC. icon_smile.gif

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:32pm
post #11 of 33

Thanks for sharing loriana! I know the effort you have put into this massive matrix - I've done much less detailed ones for my F/T side jobicon_smile.gif
Thanks again for your generosity!
Chris

lilrhodybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilrhodybaker Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:34pm
post #12 of 33

Wow this is such an amazing help!!! I have downloaded all sorts of info on cake pan sizes and batter quantities, this not only has that info, but SO MUCH MORE!! Thank you Lorianna for taking the time to create this wonderful Matrix!!!!

loriana Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:42pm
post #13 of 33

You are very welcome! Don't forget that professionals who are opening a business outside of our home need to use Alice Keeler's matrix which takes into account a whole other array of expenses like rent and utilities.

Lisa

lorilori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorilori Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:55pm
post #14 of 33

Just wanted to add my thanks for sharing!

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:13pm
post #15 of 33

[quote="loriana"]

I created it almost two years ago when I got really bored one day. quote]

Aren't you a little ashamed of giving people who sit around watching soap operas while eating raw cookie dough because they are "bored" a bad name? How about spending a few minutes solving the budget crisis next time you are bored? icon_smile.gif You are one talented CCer!

loriana Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:28pm
post #16 of 33

[quote="Spuddysmom"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriana

I created it almost two years ago when I got really bored one day. quote]

Aren't you a little ashamed of giving people who sit around watching soap operas while eating raw cookie dough because they are "bored" a bad name? How about spending a few minutes solving the budget crisis next time you are bored? icon_smile.gif You are one talented CCer!

Hahah! I doubt anyone here does that!! Thank you for your kindness! Believe me, I have had some boring jobs where the most useful thing I did in an 8 hour day was answer 3-4 phone calls. Those are the days when I get to play around in Excel icon_smile.gif

awestervelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awestervelt Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:03am
post #17 of 33

Great matrix!! icon_biggrin.gif

loriana Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:37am
post #18 of 33

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

dozenredroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dozenredroses Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 11:13pm
post #19 of 33

Thanks!

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 8:24am
post #20 of 33

Thank you

loriana Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:27am
post #21 of 33

You are very welcome. Let me know if anyone needs help using it. One day I will try to create a freeware software out of it, using the new version of Excel coming out next year. It should be easier to input your specific ingredients, costs, etc... and "spit" out a readable and easy to follow breakdown for you. I love technology. God bless it!

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:13pm
post #22 of 33

Thank you so much!! This is going to come in handy once Michigan 's cottage law goes into effect.

For all the ones having a hard time opening it you can download an excel viewer at this website to view the file.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1cd6acf9-ce06-4e1c-8dcf-f33f669dbc3a&displaylang=en

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:49pm
post #23 of 33

This is a great improvement to the one that I am currently working on!! I'll have to fiddle around with it to import my recipes as I am a scratch baker. Thanks so much

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:58pm
post #24 of 33

That is a HUGE improvement to the other one, I couldn't figure the other one out to save my life!!

I just entered a half sheet cake that I did this weekend into the matrix and it said I should have charged $57.86 total and I charged $59.50!!! I remember when I first started and the matrix's always said I should charge like $100.00 and I was charging $25.00, it's so nice to finally be in line with what it says!! lol

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:46pm
post #25 of 33

Thank you so much for this. I have been trying to figure out how much these free cakes have been costing me, lol. One Question: Where are the comments?

loriana Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:49am
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by heddahope

Thank you so much for this. I have been trying to figure out how much these free cakes have been costing me, lol. One Question: Where are the comments?

Good question...! I mean, this matrix can help you plan for your future:

Step 1: figure out your base cost. What are you actually investing in a cake? When it gets complex, is it the time or ingredients that go up? Both?

Step 2: Use this to figure out a business model for your future business. If a cake is costing you $20 in raw ingredients, $10 in accesories (like boxes and drums) and is taking you 4 hours of work... what would you need to charge to make up your cost? What is your hourly wage worth to you?

Step 3: Get some advice from CakeCentral professionals as to your skill level and what is a feasible income.

Personally, I am at the level where I pay "myself" $15 an hour if and when I take on a job. When I make a cake for a bride as a gift, I add in my time and effort as part of the wedding gift. The cake essentially becomes the gift when I add up $150-$200 worth of time and effort for a family friend... icon_razz.gif

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:15am
post #27 of 33

I cant seem to get the matrix, the link here on pg 1 only has 1 pg. your web site i cant open pages except gallery.???
OK i got it! Now, i'll see if i can use it. Should i work from the down load or copy?
Mine has no tabs...in the work book, anyone else? how do i change pages?

Deehrvy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deehrvy Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:40am
post #28 of 33

thank you!

hollys_hobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollys_hobby Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:16am
post #29 of 33

WOW!!! This is so amazing! Thank you so much for creating this! AND for giving directions on how to use it!! I have had excel worksheets shared with me before and never had any directions on how to use them! Not being that computer savy, I TRULY appreciate the work you put into this!!

loriana Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:34am
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoser24

I cant seem to get the matrix, the link here on pg 1 only has 1 pg. your web site i cant open pages except gallery.???
OK i got it! Now, i'll see if i can use it. Should i work from the down load or copy?
Mine has no tabs...in the work book, anyone else? how do i change pages?

Hey bmoser! If you are having trouble downloading it, please email me at [email protected] so I can send you a fresh copy.

The proper version should have man different color tabs along the bottom. The first page is instructions. Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%