Help! Need Hawaiian Recipes

Baking By chamorrita Updated 12 May 2010 , 4:52am by chamorrita

chamorrita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chamorrita Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:03am
post #1 of 5

I have been requested to make a chiffon cake with lilikoi filling and Haupia frosting. I have found lilikoi curd but not sure if that could be used for filling. I would greatly appreciate any information.

Thanks so much!

4 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:49am
post #2 of 5

I have never tried either of those flavors, but generally speaking, curds are terrific as fillings. If you are saying that you found it premade (i.e. you purchased it) and you decide, upon opening it, that it's too thin to use as a filling, you could always mix it into buttercream.

Neat idea for cake flavors BTW.

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 11 May 2010 , 7:15am
post #3 of 5

I found this online:
HAUPIA FROSTING:

1 (12 oz.) can coconut milk (frozen)
2 c. milk
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
6 tbsp. cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla flavoring
Shredded fresh coconut

Combine all ingredients except coconut into saucepan. Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Cool. Spread on Haupia Cake. Sprinkle with coconut.
HTH. I've lived in Hawaii all my life and never had haupia frosting so I can't give you any first hand experience on that.

pattycakes55d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes55d Posted 11 May 2010 , 9:01am
post #4 of 5

I've made a few Hawaiian cakes, not necessarily traditional, and found that using coconut Cream gives a more defined flavor than the milk does. That recipe sounds like a coconut cream filling that we'd use as a pie filling. It would have the same consistency of a frosting so it would work and it's so yummy.

lilikoi curd is a passionfruit, butter, eggs and lemon combo. It would be great as a filling. combined with the coconut, what a nice flavorful cake. Hope that helps a little.

chamorrita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chamorrita Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:52am
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for the great info. I did some research for the Haupia and I cant really see it as a frosting. Because it much more like pudding. mrsc808, thank you for the Haupia Frosting recipe...I will give it a shot.

I also looked at Hawaiian bakeries websites and looks like most of their frostings are more like whip.

Wish me luck!

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%