Help I Am Desperate

Decorating By Melissaprice80 Updated 11 May 2010 , 4:48am by chellescountrycakes

Melissaprice80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissaprice80 Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:59am
post #1 of 8

Hello, I am new to this site and getting ready to decorate my very first cake. I bought the wilton Mickey Mouse cake panfor my son's first bday. However I am having trouble with black icing. I made the wiltons buttercream and tinted it black. It was HORRIBLE and so veyr bitter. I even made chocolate icing and then tinted it and it was bad too. I only used like 2 drops of the wilton color?
I am thinking of two options..I am either going to do his ears with brown or crushed oreos. Do you know if the brown food color is bitter? I do not want to throw away any icing.

Thanks

7 replies
Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:05am
post #2 of 8

I would probably just take the easy way out and buy the Wilton black icing, it comes in a tube. I HATE HATE HATE making black, it never turns out right for me either! I do think the Oreo idea is super cute though! I bet it would taste way better and all the kiddos would love it (grown-ups too!) icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:07am
post #3 of 8

Hmm thats odd! I have never had a problem with black icing (especially chocolate based) tasting that bad...I haven't used Wilton in awhile but still...chocolate based should not have been that bad.

You could just mix more chocolate into your chocolate/black and use that, if you really hate the taste of it...

Good luck!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:28am
post #4 of 8

Sounds like the black you have has gone bad. I've had that happen before. It should not have a bad smell, but when it has gone bad, the smell is rancid too.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:55am
post #5 of 8

In desperation, I have used the Betty Crocker (I think that's the brand) icing in a squeeze tube for red. I made my own buttercream as red as I could get it without getting to the bitter point and added a little of that to the tube icing. It might work for black, too since you're in a bind right now. Later on you can go back and figure out what went wrong.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:58am
post #6 of 8

If you buy super black (Americolor) in the future, you wont have an issue getting a true black. You dont have to use that much. And if you use IndyDebis BC, and just switch some of the icing sugar to cocoa, you wont be disappointed in the taste. Good luck!

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:31am
post #7 of 8

I always buy the Wilton black in the tube. It doesn't taste bad and it's cheap.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:48am
post #8 of 8

I've made black, and never had it taste bad- I have even painted with black and vodka and it didnt taste bad- I'd go with the 'bad' theory... I havent had any go bad, but I reckon it can happen!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%