Best Way Of Doing Lids On Boxes

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 11 May 2010 , 2:13pm by Cathy26

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 10 May 2010 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 3

Hey guys, well the wedding cake ive been dreading is finally here and i was looking for a few tips. its a three tier square cake which is like three tiffany boxes stacked on top of each other. the lids are closed and there are big bows on the sides. there is plently going on but i want it to be a neat as possible as we all know we see the flaws before we see the good bits. what is the best way of doing neat lids? mine always look wonky and stretch in places and you can see really bad joins. previosuly i have always just put a square of fondant on top and then four strips round the sides but it doesent look great....

please help!

2 replies
Crabbabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crabbabs Posted 10 May 2010 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 3

I am not a professional at all, but what I have done is cover the cakes normally, then add an additional piece of fontant over the already covered cake and work the corners so there are no seams (like you are covering the cake again). Then I take a ruler and an exacto knife to cut all the way around the sides, a few inches from the top. Make sure the blade is very sharp. You can pull of the excess and it looks like a lid. Just my suggestion

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks! I had noticed a few that looked that they have been done like that - im so nervous! hopefully this might work if i can get a really sharp knife then icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%