Luster Dust, Sparkle Dust, Petal Dust, Pearl Dust ??

Decorating By SugarSugarDesserts Updated 15 May 2010 , 7:54am by Sweet_Guys

SugarSugarDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarSugarDesserts Posted 10 May 2010 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 3

I have only ever used the pearl dust that silton sells and I was thinking about ordering a different kind of dusting color. The only thing is, there seem to be several kinds of dusting powders and I don't know the differences.

Can anyone explain the differences in Luster Dust, Sparkle Dust, Petal Dust, and Pearl Dust?
What do you use each kind for?
How do you use each kind? Dry? Wet? With Vodka?

THANKS!!!

2 replies
Frotusbush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frotusbush Posted 10 May 2010 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 3

You have so many choices..... Lustre dust is shiney. Most flowers are not shiney so use it with care on them if you are entering something to be judged. Petal dust is a matte color. Sparkle dusts are just that - sparkly. Somewhere in between out right glitter and lustre dust. You can also get disco dust which is a wonderful bright glitter. There is something relatively new to the market that is being called pixie dust that is an FDA approved food safe very fine glitter powder. I absolutely love it and tend to sprinkle it about with wild abandon.

Most anything with "dust" in the name, lustre dust, petal dust etc. will be applicable with a brush and leave a chalk like finish. You can also mix it with vodka or pure lemon extract to make a paint.
Glittery things will still go on with a brush or as a paint, but they stick to things much better when you apply them while the gumpaste or fondant is still wet. Otherwise I have trouble with them falling off as soon as the liquid evaporates.

If you happen to have some left over fondant or gumpaste roll it out, make some plaques and experiment - the possibilities are endless with the product that is available now!

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 15 May 2010 , 7:54am
post #3 of 3

And when using petal dust on gumpaste leaves and petals, stem them afterwards with a clothes steamer or tea kettle and let it set to dry. This will give a more realistic look to your flowers.

Paul

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%