Preggers And Cake Decorating= Weird......

Lounge By JCE62108 Updated 27 May 2010 , 8:04pm by kellyanne1981

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 13

Ok mom's. Happy Mother's Day, BTW!!!

I found out recently that I am preggers with my second. I'm only about 7 weeks along and now is the time symptoms are just starting to kick in...like the oh-so-fun nausea and smell/taste distortion.

The only reason I'm posting this is because it's getting difficult for me to tell if my products taste like they should. Out of every batch of anything I make, I also taste a sample for quality control purposes. It's not really working right now because everything tastes like a foot. I could be eating plastic for all I can tell. LOL

I wonder, all you moms out there, did your pregnancy ever affect your job in weird ways?

I remember a few years ago, with my first pregnancy with my son, I worked in a grocery store bakery. I was decorating, and all of a sudden the smell of warm bananas caught my attention. I was going all over the bakery trying to figure out who was making banana bread (not a product we offered, so I was curious). I was asking my co-workers what they were making with bananas. Of course everyone was looking at me like I was insane. I followed the smell to a rack of cooling bread...pulled out a pan....and much to my confusion, it was GARLIC bread. Yeah. Talk about smell distortion. lol. Oh, and the smell of cookies baking was absolutly revolting. Pregnancy is weird. icon_smile.gif But I'm so excited to be going through it again.

12 replies
LilaLoa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilaLoa Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 13

Oooohh! I have a very similar problem. I am currently pregnant, and anything that is too sweet tastes like nail polish remover to me! I totally freaked out the first time, but luckily my husband tasted it right away and said it was completely normal to him. I'm sure hoping everything goes back to normal after the baby comes in a few months!!

essence706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
essence706 Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 13

Ah the joys of pregnancy lol. I just had the horrible copper/metal aftertaste anytime I ate anything sweet. Oh and baking cakes out of the question! I baked a cake as a way to tell my DH that I was preggers and the smell of cake batter, baking and icing made me feel horrible.

JCE62108 Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 13

Congratulations! How far are you? First baby? With my first pregnancy, I think the whole taste/smell distortion thing only lasted until the end of my first trimester. I hope it gets better for you soon! Nail polish remover...LOL I can totally relate. Weird, huh?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 10 May 2010 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 13

I don't recall a taste distortion, but I did develop a "need" for that cheap, fructose laden, fruit punch in gallon jugs. I vomitted it up when I went into labor and haven't been able to touch the stuff since and that's been over 20 years ago.

I couldn't stand the smell of my husband's cologne, though. He would wake me up to tell me he was leaving for work and then put it on on his way out the door so I didn't smell it. Man, the smell of that stuff gave me violent urges for some weird reason.

You're only seven weeks into it so hopefully it will pass once you're into the second trimester. I guess in the meantime you'll have to designate a taster. If you have a storefront, you can call it, "free samples." LOL

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 13

I didn't do hardly any cakes while i was pregnant with baby #2. the smell of buttercream icing just made my stomach turn. I was sick the entire time and exhausted and didn't want to be standing in the kitchen making cakes. I think i did maybe 5 or 6 cakes the whole 9 months and that was just a wedding cake i already committed to and a couple for family.

mlocklear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlocklear Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:51am
post #7 of 13

I was the same way when I was pg with #2. Everything tasted awful and I just didn't want to bake/decorate. It finally passed when I got to 12 or 13 weeks. Hopefully it'll go away!

iwantcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iwantcookies Posted 11 May 2010 , 9:58am
post #8 of 13

I am currently pregnant with #4 icon_redface.gif
I had to stop all baking/decorating between 6-18 weeks because everything to do with baking made me SO sick, even just the thought of it was doing my head in...I was just about to start my pastry chef apprenticeship but had to forego it because i could not imagine being in a kitchen surrounded by the smells etc, particularly butter!
I even had to delete cake central as my homepage!! icon_razz.gif

Good luck with it all OP! i know exactly what u are going through!

letem_eat_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letem_eat_cakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:06pm
post #9 of 13

It is very weird. I love the taste of SugarShack's buttercrea. (Or used to anyway.) Now it tastes like...well...nothing. I seem to have no tastebuds for icing anymore. My dad and husband are more than happy to taste it for me though. icon_wink.gif I just have to make sure they go away after the first taste. icon_rolleyes.gif

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:06pm
post #10 of 13

Pancakes cooking made me throw up my first trimester! And I ate manicotti from my favorite greek restaurant and all I could taste was cinnamon! BLEH! Now that I've had the baby the manicotti is back to yummy again! Weird! icon_razz.gif

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:34pm
post #11 of 13

When I was pregnant with my daughter, who is now two, I completely stopped decorating. The whole process was completely gross to me all of a sudden. My boys had (GASP!!) store-bought birthday cakes that year. Amazingly, the sky did not fall in.

Congratulations on your coming baby!!!

JCE62108 Posted 25 May 2010 , 3:27pm
post #12 of 13

I think I'm going to cut way back. I may not even take any more orders for awhile. I only have one a week from now until June. Maybe one in July and one in October. I think I'll wait until after my first trimester to schedule myself heavily again. icon_smile.gif

kellyanne1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyanne1981 Posted 27 May 2010 , 8:04pm
post #13 of 13

congratulations on your pregnancy. my only smell aversion was to my dh, he's a supervisor in a tea factory and used to do fruit herbal teas, and i couldnt stand the smell on him when he came home, god forbid i had to pick him up in my car!!! i would drive along windows down borking and yep occasionally actually being sick. not good! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%