Gumpaste/fondant Rifle???

Decorating By ToniMarieLovesCuppies Updated 10 May 2010 , 4:30pm by ToniMarieLovesCuppies

ToniMarieLovesCuppies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ToniMarieLovesCuppies Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:16pm
post #1 of 8

Um...so it doesn't look like anyone's attempted this...but my sister's 19th birthday is coming up, and she works at the gun club on Grand Island. I'm thinking of making her cupcakes with mini shotguns on top...

I'm now editing this post because I just thought that maybe it'd be easier to make a shotgun on a cake, just because it'll be bigger.

Where do I even start???? Lol.

<3Toni

7 replies
Paige_Pittman86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paige_Pittman86 Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 8

Sorry this doesn't answer your question but i was just gonna throw another question in instead of creaking a new topic... But my question is how do i know when to use gum paste or fondant? like is gum paste just for flowers or can i use fondant to create flowers.. can i use MMF to make different stuff that most people would use gum paste for????? I guess i am trying to find out how do i decide which of the 2 to use

ToniMarieLovesCuppies Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 8

I actually think that gumpaste is more versatile, especially for making flowers, since you can roll it so thin. It dries very quickly, and you can store your decorations for a while. It's my personal choice when it comes to decorations.

Fondant, however, I think is more difficult to work with. Gumpaste is more like dough, and fondant is like clay.

If taste is what you're after though, fondant definitely tastes better. But since it's for decorative purposes, it doesn't matter.

<3

tmgarcia_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmgarcia_98 Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 8

I don't know about making a rifle/shotgun, but you can get a kit that will help you make shotgun shells. That would be cute on a cupcake.....

http://www.cakesbysam.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=22441&category_id=263

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 8

You could try starting with rice krispie treats to get the shape, then cover in fondant. If your gun is very long use a straw or dowel rod for support.

Good Luck
Jo

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 8

I just did a gun for my sons cake, I forgot the wooden part where you hold your hand on the barrel . (AAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGG)

but I made it out of fondant/gumpaste mix. and then I painted it.

My kids have BEGGED me to make them a shotgun cake or a rifle cake. they JUST DONT seem to work out. I have seen some, but, wont do one, I just dont think I would be happy with it.

NOW, maybe a shotgun sitting ON a sheet cake- that I could handle.
LL

ToniMarieLovesCuppies Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 8

tmgarcia, you are AMAZING! Thank you so much!!!!

ToniMarieLovesCuppies Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:30pm
post #8 of 8

and Chelly, I love your cake! It's perfect!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%