Is There Anyplace To Buy Fondant In Bulk????

Decorating By CarrissaCarrissa Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 2:43pm by Melvira

CarrissaCarrissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrissaCarrissa Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:37am
post #1 of 9

I have been decorating cakes for almost a year now and find myself running into a major problem with only having Hobby Lobby and Wal-Mart (which are 30 minutes away) to purchase fondant. I am from a very small town and dont have a lot of resources. It can become quit pricey especially now as summer is underway. I am trying to find a legit website or store where I can buy my fondant in bulk without breaking the bank, suggestions anyone???

8 replies
bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 10 May 2010 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 9

I KNOW small town! We have one grocery store and the closest cake supply store is over 100 miles away. With the added cost of shipping, the price becomes way more than I want to spend! So I make mine..several batches at a time! Even in this one horse town, I can get glycerin at the pharmacy in big bottles, sugar, corn syrup and shorting in the grocery and I'm set to go!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbqueenb

I KNOW small town! We have one grocery store and the closest cake supply store is over 100 miles away. With the added cost of shipping, the price becomes way more than I want to spend! So I make mine..several batches at a time! Even in this one horse town, I can get glycerin at the pharmacy in big bottles, sugar, corn syrup and shorting in the grocery and I'm set to go!

You guys have a GROCERY store? And a cake store within 100 miles!? L-U-C-K-Y!!! Hahaha. My grocery store is 15 miles away in the next town, and we don't have any cake stores in the state that I've been able to locate.

I do know that Global Sugar Art has fondant sales regularly and the prices are good. I have ordered it there many times and never had a problem.

CarrissaCarrissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrissaCarrissa Posted 10 May 2010 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you guys very much for the help!! Glad to know that I am not the only one!

valledort Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valledort Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 11:45pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrissaCarrissa

Thank you guys very much for the help!! Glad to know that I am not the only one!

Why don't you try making your own? It's cheaper and not that hard.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 12:43am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbqueenb

You guys have a GROCERY store? And a cake store within 100 miles!? L-U-C-K-Y!!! Hahaha. My grocery store is 15 miles away in the next town, and we don't have any cake stores in the state that I've been able to locate.

I do know that has fondant sales regularly and the prices are good. I have ordered it there many times and never had a problem.

@ Melvira: This is where I'd like to say, "Hey Neighbor", although we are thousands of miles apart. Closest grocery: 20 minutes, closest Wal-mart: 1 1/2 hrs. Closest Michaels Craft Store: 2 1/2 hrs!
Yup, I do the Global Sugar Art thing and God help me if I get to a Michaels, I have to power shop and have a time limit. But hubby is pretty good with it as long as I'm out under an hour. You know I have to look at all the new cake toys!

Melvira Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:19am
post #7 of 9

Oh man, you've trumped me!! At least WalMart is only like 15 miles so I don't feel totally alone out here. icon_lol.gif Actually, I love small town life for the most part. And I can get to 'the big city' in 45 minutes, so it's not bad at all!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 9:23am
post #8 of 9

@ Melvira, Small town life can be okay. (It's been okay for 25 years) but the small town gossip has gotten to us.
The really cool thing here is, we ship in 40,000 different tourists every week, 6 months out of the year! My name as a caker is starting to get around (ahh again, small town word of mouth)
And I am really looking forward to next season.
Again, finding ingredients and funky cake toys is a bit of a challenge.

It's good to know we small town cake girls can hang together! You've got a new cakey bfff, girl!

Take Care!

tokazodo

Melvira Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 2:43pm
post #9 of 9

thumbs_up.gif Very awesome! We have ZERO people coming through here! Hahaha! Our town is 500 people, unless someone is on vacation.

My business is entirely by word of mouth, no advertising, and I do fairly well. I just don't want it to get busier until my kids are a bit older. Then I may consider a little advertising. I'm always glad to have a new cake girl!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%