Sugarveil

Decorating By angienajjar Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 4:23am by 7yyrt

angienajjar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angienajjar Posted 10 May 2010 , 1:13am
post #1 of 48

anyone have any unique ideas for using SUGARVEIL....??
Have the mats/stencils....but would love to hear of something DIFFERENT that you may have done....
Angie

47 replies
emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:29am
post #2 of 48

Angie, do you have the Confectionery Comb? Here are a few things you can do with it:

Comb lines with the "Deep Lines" edge, set, use a ball tool to make sections in the lines, and
LL

emilyg Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:39am
post #3 of 48

fold the line sections lengthwise (a bit offset) to make these perfect loops:
LL

emilyg Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:47am
post #4 of 48

Or you can use the combed lines to make this ascot cake (instructions are here: http://www.sugarveil.com/information/pdf/A-Well-Groomed-Cake.pdf):
LL

emilyg Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:53am
post #5 of 48

With a few drops of food color on freshly-smoothed SugarVeil, you can marbleize the surface of the "fabric"
LL

emilyg Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:56am
post #6 of 48

Smooth the color onto the top of the SugarVeil like this:
LL

emilyg Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:04am
post #7 of 48

You can also create a great coconut-filled chocolate bark recipe with SugarVeil lace and filling. Here's the recipe: http://ow.ly/d/U1
LL

emilyg Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:08am
post #8 of 48

And here's a close up:
LL

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:26am
post #9 of 48

Love the lace bark. I too bought sugarveil at a show and the DVD but have yet to set aside time to challenge myself with it. Seems like a great new way to do beautiful things but I am going to have to set out time to teach myself some new tricks.

Jaime3679 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaime3679 Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:42am
post #10 of 48

WOW!!! I want to try some Sugarveil! Is it hard to work with? Where is the best place to order it from?

emilyg Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:20am
post #11 of 48

Jaime, GlobalSugarArt and IcingImages.com are two places you can buy SugarVeil. It's not difficult to work with - it's just different from any other cake decorating technique. People say the SugarVeil "Dessert Garnishes" DVD really helps to see the whole process visually, and we're just an email away if you've any questions.

You can cut SugarVeil with electronic cutters, or just use simple paper-type punches like we used to decorate this cake:
LL

emilyg Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:23am
post #12 of 48

and these cupcakes (instructions for this 'cupcake bouquet' are here: http://www.sugarveil.com/information/pdf/amcd-flowerfaces.pdf)
LL

emilyg Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:27am
post #13 of 48

Be sure to keep all your left-over SugarVeil bits - they make great confetti for desserts and ice cream.
LL

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:40am
post #14 of 48

When it is prepared, how long can it be stored?

Sandy

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:37pm
post #15 of 48

It is best prepared within 24 hours before use, that is mixed. If you are not going to use it immedatiely you will need to remix it. If you are preparing set pieces, if you store them in an airtight container than they stay fresh and plyable for a while. I have seen 6 month old pieces that were set and usable!

Another idea is to put an image of a fabric pattern on the set SV and it becomes fabric like!

emilyg Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:01pm
post #16 of 48

Here's the link for the SugarVeil Coconut-filled Bark recipe for Mac users: http://ow.ly/d/3nk

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:10pm
post #17 of 48

Emily, can I use sugarveil in a silicone lace mold or in celshapes? Thanks icon_lol.gif

emilyg Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:46pm
post #18 of 48

Mugabug, as long as your silicone mold is shallow it should work fine. I'm not real familiar with the celshapes, so you might want to experiment a bit.

Generally, shallow, flexible molds work best with SugarVeil. For large lace shapes (11" x 16"), we've the Lace Confectioner's Mat at present, and will have other designs available this fall. Be sure to sign up on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/sugarveil) and our website update list (http://www.sugarveil.com) to receive updates/technique newsletters about the all the latest SugarVeil applications.

Also, you might also want to check with Dominic of makeyourownmolds.com about making your own molds which you can use with SugarVeil.

Thanks much,

Michele at SugarVeil
LL

Mug-a-Bug Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:56pm
post #19 of 48

thumbs_up.gif Thanks! Yes, I have a few shallow molds that I haven't been able to use with gumpaste (because they are too shallow and the gp just pulls out). I am excited to order this and try it out! Thanks. icon_lol.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:55pm
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyg

and these cupcakes (instructions for this 'cupcake bouquet' are here: http://www.sugarveil.com/information/pdf/amcd-flowerfaces.pdf )

Now those are just disgustingly CUTE!!!!

(Is it possible to be disgustingly cute?)

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:02pm
post #21 of 48

I bought sugarveil to make lace last year for a cake. It never hardend and was the consistancy of marshmallow cream (tasted like it too icon_wink.gif ) At any rate, it didn't work for me and I followed the instructions on the container exactly. Not sure what happened but haven't used the remaining yet, too afraid to waste it and not getting it right again. That stuff is expensive! Any clues as to why it didn't work, I let it set for 48 hours and it did not ever set, it was just as wet as it was the day I made it.

sweetkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkake Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:03pm
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Quote:

Or you can use the combed lines to make this ascot cake (instructions are here: http://www.sugarveil.com/infor.....Cake.pdf):

emilyg: thank you for this information but the link says the file has been removed. I would appreciate it if you could send me the instructions for the sugarveil ascot by pm-ing me. TIA

emilyg Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:16pm
post #23 of 48

Cakesdivine, let's see if we can troubleshoot this. First of all, here are the complete SugarVeil instructions to take a look at and to keep on hand: http://ow.ly/d/3dP. Here are a few tips:

1. Use the proportions of 1/3c. plus 2 Tbl. boiling water to 1c. SugarVeil for any use, and beat immediately with an electric mixer on high speed for 4 minutes. We found this consistency to be the easiest for all users to work with.

If you have a little hand mixer, you can mix less than one cup of SugarVeil at a time (a regular KitchenAid stand mixer needs one cup of SugarVeil in order for the blades to reach the mix).

If you let the mixed SugarVeil stand for any length of time, after an hour or so it will begin to look off-white rather than the original smooth, glossy white-white consistency, so this is a good reminder to rebeat it for 30 seconds before use (and for this rebeating, you can rebeat by hand if you like).

2. If your water is heavily softened, sometimes the water softening chemicals can interfere with the setting of SugarVeil. If that is the case with your water, use bottled water. Aqua Fina is one brand without added minerals.

3. Don't use spray oil to grease the silicone or parchment paper surface to which you apply SugarVeil - use only solid fat (Crisco-type) to grease. If you are using our Lace Confectioners' Mat (either side), you do not need to grease at all.

4. If you are piping your lace lines with a piping bag, be sure to pipe very fine lines. This is one area of adjustment for decorators who are used to piping buttercream. With SugarVeil, you always pipe extremely fine lines. Use a 00 or 0 tip or a parchment cone. These fine lines are surprisingly strong and will be cohesively flexible when they are set; thicker lines are not necessary and will take longer to set. Here are three lace patterns with our compliments that you can download and print from our website: http://www.sugarveil.com/icing_dispenser/design_patterns.htm

5. If using the SugarVeil Icing Dispenser, add a few drops of water to the mixed SugarVeil before piping the icing into a cartridge.

6. If you live in a very humid area, note that heat and blowing air are the two things which speed the setting of SugarVeil - for example, having a fan blow across the decorations or placing the decorations in the vicinity of working ovens decreases the setting time. See the other suggestions (sunlight, etc) in the above-mentioned instructions.

7. When using molds, use very fine, shallow molds with SugarVeil. SugarVeil isn't suited for deeper molds. First Impression Molds makes a filigree mold that works nicely with SugarVeil - this mold is the deepest we would recommend, and you preheat this particular mold in the oven in order to get a successful result. The how-to for doing this is here (this is also a good article for instruction on several different techniques of using SugarVeil):
http://www.sugarveil.com/information/pdf/acdm.pdf

So, Cakesdivine, hopefully the above will be helpful to you. Please let me know if I can be of any further help along the way as you work with SugarVeil.

Thank you,

Michele at SugarVeil
LL

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:20pm
post #24 of 48

The links just had a little extra punctuation at the ends. Take that off, and the links work fine.

emilyg Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:22pm
post #25 of 48

Sorry about that, Sweetkake, here's the link again:

http://www.sugarveil.com/information/pdf/A-Well-Groomed-Cake.pdf

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:24pm
post #26 of 48

Thank you so much emily! I will try again soon. Okay now I have to bookmark this page! icon_smile.gif

Mug-a-Bug Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:25pm
post #27 of 48

Amazing! Thanks for sharing! Looks like I'll be getting use out of my food dehydrator afterall! thumbs_up.gif

Katiebelle74 Posted 31 May 2010 , 7:12pm
post #28 of 48

I have to agree with Cakesdivine. I was SOOO excited about this product. I still love the idea of it, but it is not working for me either. I ordered in venetian lace, called Dominic at make your own molds and he talked me through how to make my own mold for use with sugarveil. I made a beautiful mold of the lace. Watched my sugarveil DVD I purchased at the RBA (and I have to say I am very disappointed in that DVD). Thought I had things figured out, went by the instructions on the bag plus what I had seen in the instructional DVD and made a 1 cup batch of sugarveil in my kitchenaid. Spread the sugarveil into my lace mat. Now in the video they merely say "sets in a period of time" but give no clue what kind of window of time we are talking about here.... minutes? hours? I never ever would have assumed DAYS! so an hour passes, 2 hours pass.... what the heck? I go on the sugarveil site, can't really find the info I need, so I go on you tube hoping for something. Now there is where I should have started to begin with and never mind the dvd. The you tube video starts out saying to make the sugarveil THE DAY BEFORE you want to use it..... then shows putting sugarveil in the lace mat and letting it sit for 24 hours. So I did not let the mixture sit for a day before use.... however there is some in my fridge from yesterdays adventure that I plan to retry after I get the current marshmallow goo washed out of the lace mat as it never set. I can only hope that the mix sitting overnight before use is the answer to my problem. I am a little frustrated to now learn that it is going to take a minimum of 2 days to make 1 piece of lace or else a major investment in more silicone molds. I do still love the idea of sugarveil and the possibilities I just hope that I can figure out the trick of it and am bummed that the "instructional dvd" did not really teach me how to handle the product and troubleshoot it, just sort of showed off how to use the comb and the icing dispenser.

emilyg Posted 31 May 2010 , 9:20pm
post #29 of 48

Hi Katiebelle,

You are talking about using SugarVeil in a Venetian lace mold that you made yourself, if I understood your post correctly. Our SugarVeil "Dessert Garnishes" DVD contains instructions for bows, monograms, flowers, gold leafing, etc, but we had not yet worked with silicone molds at that time.

After years of study and design, we came out with the Lace Confectioners' silicone mat just last fall. A lace video we also did last fall accompanies the instructions for using the mat. Perhaps there are some tips in our Lace Mat instructions which could help you out with your mold that you made. Here is the link to the Lace Confectioners' Mat instructions: http://www.sugarveil.com/pdfs/lace-instruction-brochure.pdf

Since the mold you made is Venetian lace, chances are it is a deeper mold than our Lace Confectioners' Mat. Deep molds are generally not recommended for SugarVeil, but we used a filigree silicone mold (which is deeper than our Lace Mat) to cast SugarVeil for a cake in American Cake Decorating a while back. Here are the instructions for using that deeper mold: http://www.sugarveil.com/information/pdf/acdm.pdf

Since we put the mold into the oven for this particular First Impressions mold we used in the ACD article, an oven might be the answer for using your mold - you'll probably need to do a few trial runs to see what length of oven time is necessary for the depth of your mold to set it (without baking it, where it dries out entirely). I would also give Dominic at makeyourownmolds.com a call or an email - he's a nice guy and very helpful with all things molded.

Tips: Be sure you use the proportions of 1 cup SugarVeil to 1/3 plus 2 Tbl. boiling water. Beat on high speed for four minutes. Here are the complete SugarVeil instructions: http://ow.ly/d/3dP

You can remove SugarVeil from your silicone mold by allowing it to soak in water for just a few minutes, then rinse it away in with a stream of water.

Working with our Lace Confectioners' Mat is the only SugarVeil technique where we found mixing SugarVeil the day before to be helpful. Anything else you do with SugarVeil does not require a wait time, although we like to let it rest for an hour after mixing (but many do not even do that).

Setting times depend upon humidity, as well as the thickness of SugarVeil you are casting/spreading. A hygrometer is helpful for learning how humid different parts of your bakery/kitchen are. Generally, near working ovens is the driest, which means quicker setting of SugarVeil. Humid areas include sinks and running water, dishwashers, and even stove tops cooking soups or other liquids. More info on this subject is in the SugarVeil instructions link mentioned above.

Hopefully I've provided some answers for you here. Please let us know if you've any questions by emailing us at [email protected] - I'll be happy to help you out with any other questions you might have.

Kind Regards,

Michele at SugarVeil

Katiebelle74 Posted 31 May 2010 , 10:38pm
post #30 of 48

Thank you Michelle, I will try again today. Although I have not seen the sugarveil lace mat the lace mat I made is very thin, hopefully I can find the right thing to do to make it work and I will play around with the sugarveil I mixed up yesterday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%