Last Minute Wedding Cake...worried

Decorating By pat-a-cakes Updated 11 May 2010 , 9:04pm by pat-a-cakes

pat-a-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pat-a-cakes Posted 9 May 2010 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 13

Okay so I have been doing cakes for a few years but have just recently started selling some. Yesterday I was contacted by a woman who needs a wedding cake, she e-mailed some photos she like and I quoted her a price. She calls me later to say she actually needs the cake for NEXT Saturday, that's right one week! Her friend of the family who was supposed to make the cake backed out. I am a little nervous as this will be my first paid wedding cake that's not for family. I have only been doing fondant cakes for about 5-6 months too. So I have added the photo and any suggestions or advice anyone can offer would be appreciated.
the bride requested that the pears be changed to flowers but the colours are apparently what she wants. I was thinking orchids but I have never made them before.
LL

12 replies
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 9 May 2010 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 13

You could pm the decorator. It was made by JenniferMI, here on CC.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1013973

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:13am
post #3 of 13

Orchids would be beautiful. If you act quickly, you can probably order them and then color them yourself. Would save the stress of learning how to make them in such a short amount of time.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:30am
post #4 of 13

Heck, I think the pears would be easier than orchids. Just do the pears ahead. Take it one step at a time and you will be fine.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 May 2010 , 5:40am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Heck, I think the pears would be easier than orchids. Just do the pears ahead. Take it one step at a time and you will be fine.

Yep. Much easier. I'd get started though. One week isn't much time.

QueenMo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenMo Posted 10 May 2010 , 6:04am
post #6 of 13

start early! that's the best advice for any big project...just get as much done ahead of time as you can, prep prep prep!

ladyk333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyk333 Posted 10 May 2010 , 6:04am
post #7 of 13

If the bride wants flowers, I'd certainly do flowers - although the idea of ordering them is a great one. If you're new to fondant, I don't know if you want to undertake the job of learning to do gumpaste orchids as well. If you decide to, google tutorials for orchid making and you'll find some step by step methods. Perhaps someone else knows a good one . . .

Good luck and enjoy!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 10 May 2010 , 6:46am
post #8 of 13

I would suggest to her that the top tier be white fondant with a thin band of dark, like the bottom tier. I can see that being an issue at the last moment, and you will have enough to worry about with only a weeks notice. Simplify!
I'd order the flowers, and charge her accordingly. Personally I doubt I would ever do a wedding cake with only one weeks notice, but if for some reason I did, I would certainly control the design.

cakebaby59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby59 Posted 10 May 2010 , 6:57am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

I would suggest to her that the top tier be white fondant with a thin band of dark, like the bottom tier. I can see that being an issue at the last moment, and you will have enough to worry about with only a weeks notice. Simplify!
I'd order the flowers, and charge her accordingly. Personally I doubt I would ever do a wedding cake with only one weeks notice, but if for some reason I did, I would certainly control the design.

Yep...a cake like this in just a week...u definately need to control that design...! Take a deep breath and GOOD LUCK...Linda

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 10 May 2010 , 9:57am
post #10 of 13

Oh, by the way - GET YOUR CASH NOW!!!

NO money, no turn on mixer!!! (Not a check - CASH)

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 10 May 2010 , 10:50am
post #11 of 13

Hi... because of the short notice.... the easiest flowers to make and most popular ones.... are the callas.... u might want to think about suggesting calla lilies and u can make them super quick and then start doing all that baking and torting and filing and all that good stuff.... I pray to God your week goes smooth and u r able to complete this in no time...

BTW: YEAH 7yyrt..... GET UR $$$$ with the quickness

jennywenny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywenny Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:01pm
post #12 of 13

Make sure to only do stuff you're comfortable with and that you've practiced before, rather than trying something new. I know it might involve a compromise on design but much less stress for you, and they will be happier in the long run with a good cake!

On that top layer, maybe it would be better to do a solid chocolate fondant, it looks a bit tricky just doing the brown on the sides?

Could you use fresh orchids?

pat-a-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pat-a-cakes Posted 11 May 2010 , 9:04pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks so much for all the advice. The bride doesn't want the pears although I think they look fantastic. It is a beautiful cake so thanks to the designer and thanks for pointing out who the creator was. I was thinking about callas as well as they seem a little easier and fit with the colour scheme. I forgot to add that when she called she said she really didn't need the cake for dessert as there was already dessert with the meal. So she wanted a cake just to have a wedding cake. I suggested having the bottom 2 tiers as false (styrofoam) cakes and she loved the idea. So I only have to bake the one top tier for enough cake for the family and bridal party. Sort of eased some of the worries about sinking tiers etc! I am making some flowers tonight so I will let you know how it goes.
Oh yeah, got 50% up front and the other 50% upon delivery!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%