Military Cake-Draped Flag

Decorating By funcakes Updated 13 May 2010 , 10:31pm by squeaky121603

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 9 May 2010 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 6

I would like to make a draped flag that covers most of the top of a rectangular cake and falls over the side. This is for a young man graduating from West Point. I have seen many great cakes like this in the gallery and one online by Janet Brown, but I can not find any directions.
Could someone give me some pointers. Should I make the flag in fondant or gumpaste/fondant mix? Should I make it ahead of time and let it dry/harden or should I put it on the cake and make the draping effect then?
Thanks in advance.

5 replies
vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 9 May 2010 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 6

by no means do I have the right answer, but when I made mine on a layered cake, I made it right before putting it on the cake. This all depends on how you want the look of the flag on the cake. You can accurately measure how the sides and top will be, then the flag may drape and it's easier to work with and lay it on. But you won't get the right drape if you let it dry. The biggest problem I had was whether to make individual stripes and push them together, or to make one big flag and lay every other stripe on. I think even painting the stripes would be
easier too.
all in all, I wouldn't let the flag dry. Keep it workable as mine didnt drape as I wanted it even with making it right before.
Good luck.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 6

Giving you a bump, because I would like more info too...

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 6
cake_it_up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_it_up Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 6

I made all the stripes and the blue section and then peiced them together and rolled them out until they seamed together with a rolling pin. Then I placed stars on after it was laying on the cake.

squeaky121603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
squeaky121603 Posted 13 May 2010 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWHwbu-10Sk&feature=channel This is a series of how to make the flag on youtube. It looks like there are several videos on how to make it.

HTH,
Carol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%