I Have Some Questions About Decorating A Fondant Cake

Decorating By makeupdivaa Updated 9 May 2010 , 12:47am by Kitagrl

makeupdivaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeupdivaa Posted 9 May 2010 , 12:01am
post #1 of 3

Hope you can help me:

1. can i decorate a fondant cake with buttercream and royal icing or should i stick to one. I want to pip around the base of the cake but dont want it to "melt" the fondant

2. if i'm making fondant flowers for my cake can i make them a head of time and then just BC stick them to the fontant cake? if so how far in advance can i make them and how do i store it?

3.Can i use fondant to cover a betty crocker cake mix cake or will the fondant suck the moisture out of it?

Thanks sooo much

2 replies
Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 9 May 2010 , 12:33am
post #2 of 3

There's always more than one way to do things, but here's my thoughts on your questions:

1.) I have decorated fondant cakes with both royal and buttercream icing. If I'm just doing a base border, I tend to use BC because I have it left over from icing the cake.

2.) I always make my fondant and/or gum paste flowers ahead of time. I tend to make them earlier in the week so I don't really have to worry too much about how to store them. However, if you are making them well in advance, then I would just store them (after they have dried) carefully in an air-tight container, at room temp. Also, you can attach the flowers using many techniques - however, royal icing would be more secure than BC if you plan on transporting the cake with the flowers attached.

3.) As long as you seal the cake with BC icing ahead of time, the fondant will not dry out your cakes. In fact, fondant usually locks in the moisture.

Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 May 2010 , 12:47am
post #3 of 3

I'm one who prefers to use royal icing on fondant cakes, I guess just because its harder to mess up royal once it dries...but either is fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%