Beautiful Lettering On A Fondant Placque

Decorating By PeggyMichel Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 7:17pm by DetailsByDawn

PeggyMichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeggyMichel Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 17

Hi everyone,
I have some seen some great cakes with what looked like a printed message on a fondant placque. The lettering was perfect. How do you do this? It didn't look like tappits or cricut letters or piping. My piping skills are not that good and sometimes the letters I need are so small that my cricut doesn't cut them well. Is there another way? Thanks for any suggestions.

16 replies
tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 17

Some folks use an edible image printer for that. If you don't have one of those(I don't either) maybe you could use a stencil and food color paint.

KerrieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KerrieD Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 17

Someone told me about SCAL (Sure Cuts alot) and Make the Cut. The SCAL she said hooks to the computer so you can print anything on your cricut. She didn't have any info on the Make the cut. I too need some help with lettering, centering, aligning. I'm going to look into these. HTH

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 8 May 2010 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 17

I know some people use a projector to project the image that they need to pipe. If you want an edible image, you can take a copy of what you want to Wal-Mart and they will copy it to an edible image for $5.00.

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 8 May 2010 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 17

Sheila thanks for the walmart Idea, I didn't know they can do that, my local cake supplier charges 15 per sheet.

ladyhawk1nlm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyhawk1nlm Posted 8 May 2010 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 17

Not all Wal-Marts will do it. I know where I live in MA they wont.

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 9 May 2010 , 12:40pm
post #8 of 17

Sheilabelle, not sure where in Michigan you live, but I justed called Meijer the other day they charge $4.00 a sheet.

sheilabelle Posted 9 May 2010 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 17

It's a 45 min drive to Meijers. 20 min drive to Wal-mart. but, thanks for letting me know that. icon_smile.gif

Anita8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anita8 Posted 9 May 2010 , 9:26pm
post #10 of 17

The best thing for me to do (check out my Tiffany & Co cake) is to roll my fondant through a pasta machine until it is very thin(about 3-4 with 1 being the thinnest) then I let it harden out then trace the writing using an edible marker. Using a tiny bit of water I stick it on my cake. For me this is really easy and I get perfect results. I've also used this method to make 60 transformer faces which I wouldve had to pay $30.00 if i'd had them printed.

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 9 May 2010 , 9:30pm
post #11 of 17

i'm gonna have to check with meijer, I've already checked walmart and kroger and both said they can't do them for me icon_sad.gif Does anyone know of an online place where you can order edible images?

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 9 May 2010 , 10:14pm
post #12 of 17

not sure if you ever come to lapeer, but the lapeer wal mart does edible images for 5.00

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:53pm
post #13 of 17

Walmart in Canton said NO

Shannon1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannon1129 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:00pm
post #14 of 17

I use an edible marker. I have a brown cake with polka dots in my photos that has a name plaque with marker on it.

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 4:38pm
post #15 of 17

I'm super lazy - I print out my lettering in whatever font i want, then I trace using an edible marker onto rice paper. At $0.40 per full sheet, you can't go wrong. Then I stick the rice paper to the fondant plaque or right on the cake with piping gel. You can even dress it up by piping over your text with royal. This works best on white or light coloured fondant.
LL

sheilabelle Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:17pm
post #16 of 17

Where do you get rice paper at? I live in the boonies, so would probably have to order and shipping would be a killer.

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 7:17pm
post #17 of 17

Well, I'm in Canada and we have a bulk food store called the Bulk Barn. I get mine there. If you have anything similar, just ask them there. PM me your address and I'll mail you a few sheets! They only weigh as much as regular paper!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%