How Do I Recreate This In Gumpaste?

Decorating By ChoueiriCakeCo Updated 9 May 2010 , 10:14am by ChoueiriCakeCo

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 8 May 2010 , 6:12am
post #1 of 9

I'm trying to make a 3-d cake topper of this image, but am having a hard time figuring out how to get the ice cream figures to stay standing. The only thing I can think of it to use a wooden dowel for the ice pop stick and make it long enough so that it goes into the cake and holds the ice pop up. I would do the same for the ice cream cone but the dowel wouldn't be visible.

Would this work, and is there any easier way? Any tips would be greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif
LL

8 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 8 May 2010 , 7:45am
post #2 of 9

sounds fine to me icon_smile.gif
xx

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 8 May 2010 , 7:46am
post #3 of 9

Dowels are exactly what I'd use icon_smile.gif

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 8 May 2010 , 10:49am
post #4 of 9

Great, thank you! icon_smile.gif

Now I'm wondering...should I sharpen the end of the dowel that's going to go into the cake? I'm worried about it cracking or distorting the icing if it's pushed into the cake with a dull point...

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 8 May 2010 , 11:07am
post #5 of 9

If you push them in before the icing hardens you won't have any problems with cracking etc.

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 8 May 2010 , 12:07pm
post #6 of 9

I'm actually making the toppers for someone else (and will be shipping it to them), so I won't be making the cake and won't be able to put the topper on myself.

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 9 May 2010 , 1:47am
post #7 of 9

So I made the toppers...it was actually very easy! icon_biggrin.gif I'm letting them dry now (laying down with the dowel already inserted) and hopefully they'll stand up ok once they've dried icon_smile.gif

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 9 May 2010 , 3:40am
post #8 of 9

Instead of using dowels you could use wooden food skewers. They already have a point and are easy to cut to any size. You could glue one to the back of the pop stick. You can get 100 for a couple of dollars at wal mart or the grocery store.

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 9 May 2010 , 10:14am
post #9 of 9

I've seen those every time I go to the grocery store and I think "I could use those with cakes...", but I never buy them. Maybe I'll pick some up once I run out of dowels icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%