Red Velvet Cake Recipe To Withstand Fondant??

Decorating By tal Updated 10 May 2010 , 6:50pm by mamawrobin

tal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tal Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:40am
post #1 of 13

I am looking for a red velvet cake recipe that I am going to stack - 3 tiers - and I need to find a recipe that will withhold fondant? Can anyone help?

Also, I can't seem to find a cream cheese icing that isn't too sweet and will also adhere to fondant well??

And finally, if I use cream cheese, how long can I keep it out of the refrig?

Thanks so much! Have to make this cake this coming week - really nervous@@@@

Lisa L
[email protected]

12 replies
frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:54am
post #2 of 13

I'm not sure if you were looking for a box mix recipe or a scratch recipe, but I love the Red Velvet Redux recipe from BlakesCakes. It's sturdy and extremely tasty. I've also used this recipe for chocolate and yellow cakes and found it to be excellent for everything.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7573/red-velvet-redux-easy-durable

As far as the cream cheese icing, there is a recipe from Rose Levy Beranbaum that is a white chocolate cream cheese icing and it's not too sweet; it's just white chocolate, cream cheese, butter, sour cream and almond extract. I'm not sure how long you can keep this out of the refrigerator but I thought it went very well with the red velvet.

Good luck!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:58am
post #3 of 13

I've made red velvet from scratch and red velvet doctored cake mix. Any will hold up fine to cover with fondant. Cream cheese icing and fondant aren't a good match. However, there is a crusting cream cheese icing receipe here on cc. I think it's Edna's receipe that is suppose to work under fondant.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:11am
post #4 of 13

why don't people seem to use bc with red velvet? Is it too sweet ? My grandson is asking for this for his birthday which will be under mmf, so I am using DH, am I going to regret this?

mamawrobin Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:44am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

why don't people seem to use bc with red velvet? Is it too sweet ? My grandson is asking for this for his birthday which will be under mmf, so I am using DH, am I going to regret this?

I like DH red velvet. I do add white chocolate pudding, 3T cocoa and a few extras but I do like it. I use bc on mine because I don't like cream cheese icing. To me it's too sweet icon_lol.gif I think it must be traditional to use cream cheese icing with red velvet but I don't see anything wrong with using bc myself.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:54am
post #6 of 13

I've used different versions of cream cheese frosting with red velvet, and I've used my SMBC. I like both, but I don't think a red velvet has a definite flavor, so I like the tang of a cream cheese frosting. I've covered my cream cheese frosted cakes with fondant lots of times -does it depend on the brand you use? icon_smile.gif

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 8 May 2010 , 5:22am
post #7 of 13

I've used a doctored (used buttermilk and extra cocoa powder) DH red velvet with cream cheese filling and IMBC frosting covered with fondant and it turned out great(my Twilight cake)

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:50am
post #8 of 13

I LUV Chef Stephs red velvet in recipes. I also use the dreamy creamy white chocolate cream cheese icing from Roses heavenly cake, though I am not as crazy about that red velvet cake. The icing is to die for! But I quadrupled the recipe, cut the choc in 1/2 (so double the original amt) and use 1/4 -1/2 cup of icing sugar. I dont know why... it just works!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000407551

You have to scroll down to the icing recipe.

You will not be disappointed!

tal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tal Posted 10 May 2010 , 11:10am
post #9 of 13

Thanks so much for all of your replies - that Dreamy White Choc sounds sinful - can't wait to try it!!!

I'm going to go with my "gut instinct" and cover it with the fondant.....I'll let you know and post pics when it's done!

Love this Board!!!!

Have a great day!

Lis

iwantcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iwantcookies Posted 10 May 2010 , 11:21am
post #10 of 13

Chef Stefs recipe is awesome!

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 10 May 2010 , 11:49am
post #11 of 13

Sorry to high jack your thread but I was wondering if anyone knows a good white velvet recipe for a stacked wedding cake? She wants the red velvet taste but no red! LOL

Thanks!!

GuinnessTigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GuinnessTigger Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:00pm
post #12 of 13

I made a 4 tier red velvet wedding cake a few weeks ago and used the 'Easy Red Velvet Cake' recipe posted on cake central. It is a modified box mix recipe, which I typically prefer, but I know some people prefer scratch cakes. It held up very well with the fondant and I even had a sugar topper that weight about 7 lbs.

I'm not sure about a cream cheese recipe because I used buttercream since the cake was going to be sitting out at the venue for a number of hours.

mamawrobin Posted 10 May 2010 , 6:50pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannycakers

Sorry to high jack your thread but I was wondering if anyone knows a good white velvet recipe for a stacked wedding cake? She wants the red velvet taste but no red! LOL

Thanks!!

There is a great White Velvet cake receipe here on cc. I make it all the time. It's a really thick batter so if you make it just wanted you to know to expect that icon_wink.gif I love this receipe. Can't remember who's receipe it is....maybe cakemommy's?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%