Transparent Wire ?

Decorating By Necey Updated 8 May 2010 , 12:02pm by cakesrock

Necey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Necey Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:13am
post #1 of 2

Does anyone know where I can purchase what looks to me like thin wires that come out of cakes?.. I'm sorry, but I don't know what they are called icon_smile.gif They sometimes have balls at the end of them or flowers and /or butterflies that seem to "float" on the end of these wires, off to the side of the cake and sometimes they are curled on the ends. I'd love to buy them for my cake decorating. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. icon_smile.gif

1 reply
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 8 May 2010 , 12:02pm
post #2 of 2

I am not sure that you can buy them, as most people make them. You need to use floral wire then attach to the gumpaste ball, star or whatever decoration you want to make. I use 18 or 20 guage floral wire (get from floral dept at Michaels) Cut your decoration (do it thick if you are doing a star, for example or roll a ball), heat the wire for a few seconds and insert. Then you let it dry.
Here is a thread that explains how to do it.
If you need more info, just search under forums (the white search tab)
Just make sure you never stick the wire directly into your cake- that is not food safe. Put it in a straw, then fill it with melted choc or RI to hold.
If you want a bouquet look, then put several higher guage wire (20 -22) into one straw. You can use drinking straws or coffee stirrers. Some people even use lollipop sticks. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%