Candy Gems Are Sticky? Wrong Temp?

Sugar Work By ramie7224 Updated 20 May 2010 , 7:14pm by gong294

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 7 May 2010 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 9

I made a batch of candy gems using poured sugar and they are really tacky and sticky to the touch. I'm also leaving finger prints in them if I touch them. Am I doing something wrong? I thought maybe I didn't cook the sugar long enough but I got it up to 280. Maybe it's the non-stick spray on the molds? Is there something I can do to make them less sticky?

8 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 8 May 2010 , 1:03am
post #2 of 9

which poured recipe are you using. Your final temp should be 305 degrees.

one of ladies on here helped me and I am SO hooked on making gems now. I can PM the recipe to you with instructs if you would like.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 8 May 2010 , 1:41am
post #3 of 9

me too, please!!!!

tesso Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:40am
post #4 of 9

okay, my PM only shut down on me twice while sending PM's If you dont get the recipe let me know and I will post it here. It is on the site somewhere, but coudnt tell you where.

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 8 May 2010 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks so much for your recipe.....it is WAY different from what I was using. This was my first (and second) attempt and I just used whatever recipe I found online. The one I used didn't call for corn syrup and said to cook to soft crack. I'll try yours this afternoon. I need some gems for a cake for Monday.

tesso Posted 9 May 2010 , 5:52am
post #6 of 9

i hope you all got the recipe. I think it is rosamatsas' sugar recipe. I put a link to the ring she made.. which is the most awsome thing I have ever seen.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1548078

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:46am
post #7 of 9

Thank you, Tess, so much for posting this & providing the instructions..... icon_wink.gif

amarieholley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amarieholley Posted 17 May 2010 , 12:52am
post #8 of 9

Hey Tess do you mind PM me the recipe and instructions to please? I am just getting into the sugar work and need all the help I can get. Thanks!

gong294 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gong294 Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:14pm
post #9 of 9

Tesso- Would you mind sending me the recipe as well? Thanks!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%