Mother's Day Cake Idea, Help

Decorating By rkei Updated 8 May 2010 , 3:56pm by shanienee

rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 7 May 2010 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 9

It's me again. I find this sight really helpfull, so forgive me for all my forum posts. I had a Mother's day cake idea in mind, but I need a plan B like _____ suggested. I would like something with flowers, but simple cause I am not to good at making flowers. Buttercream, too, please! Any help would be great!

8 replies
GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 7 May 2010 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 9

Do you know how to make roses with buttercream? If so one cake you can make is a round cake, leave the dome on top and cover the whole top part with roses. On the sides what you can do is pipe round stems up and down. Put in the fridge to harden and maybe you can wrap a ribbon around. There are a lot of pics here on CC. Here's one that I found:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1480914.html

rkei Posted 7 May 2010 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 9

GL79- I used to be able to make great roses, but suddenly, I CANNOT! I am going to try my hand at it again.... thank you so much for the idea! I really liked it. icon_biggrin.gif

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 7 May 2010 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 9

Another way you can do them is using fondant, what they call ribbon roses Here's another pic:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1511786.html

Those are really easy to make. You just roll out your fondant cut a wide strip, fold it lenght wise. When you fold it dont press on it, then you roll and cut depending on how big you want your roses.

rkei Posted 7 May 2010 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you GL79, but I can't stand fondant. Thanks anyways!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 7 May 2010 , 10:46pm
post #6 of 9

Hi Rachel,

I'm the one who advised you to have a Plan B, so I guess I should be the one to help you to find one!

I'm attaching a cake below that isn't great, but it'll demonstrate the technique I'd suggest for you. It's basic piping, using just 2 tips and a cookie cutter, but it can look really elegant! Judging from the photo of your first cake, you're good at piping, so I'm sure you can do this.

Frost your cake in the color of your choice. Take a flower cookie cutter and lightly imprint it wherever you want. You can even have some flowers falling over the sides by putting part of the cutter near the edge and imprint; then, without picking up the cutter, tip it down onto the side to imprint the rest.

Next, using like a tip 2 and whatever contrasting color you'd like, pipe lines diagonally within the imprint. Then, pipe lines vertically over those, making a nice criss-cross. Don't worry -- the lines don't have to be perfectly straight, just do your best. Finally, using a bigger tip, maybe a 4, pipe the outline of the flower.

Finally, you can add the bottom border of your choice.

This way, you can do flowers for your mom without having to know how to do a rose. That will come with time and practice.

Good luck, and please post a photo!! (You don't have to take my suggestion -- it won't hurt my feelings, but please do post a photo in this thread of whatever you do! I'm sure your mom's going to love it. icon_razz.gif )
LL

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 7 May 2010 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 9

How about some cornelli lace all over the top with a nice shell border and then using a flower pick (Wilton sells them now at Michaels) put fresh flowers on the top?

rkei Posted 7 May 2010 , 11:01pm
post #8 of 9

JGMB, I really like your suggestion! I think I might do it, it plan A fails. icon_smile.gif I like your thingy about flowers falling over the edge, thanks! Your pictures really help, too. I will post a picture when it's done. icon_smile.gif
Linstead, thank you, I like your idea, maybe it'll be be plan C. icon_smile.gif I really hope I can get plan A to work though. icon_biggrin.gif

shanienee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanienee Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 9

You can always use tip 1M and make rosettes on top. I did that for my mother in law birthday cake and it looked great. I suck at making roses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%