Different Fondant Types And Problems

Decorating By awilder Updated 11 May 2010 , 8:08pm by awilder

awilder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awilder Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 9

I hope I am posting this in the right place, if not I apologize. Also I tried the search options for the answers I am looking for but was unable to find anything, so again I apologize if these are redundant questions, please forgive this newbie icon_eek.gif ...

I am wondering if the different fondant recipes produce different consistencies and surfaces. I have only made and used marshmallow fondant up to this point. I have a problem with the fondant tearing and sagging on my cakes, but I am thinking this could be due to rolling the fondant too thin or having too much buttercream underneath? I bought a fondant smoothing tool, but have never been able to use it because the fondant wants to stick to it and actually makes it end up looking worse, so i am never able to really smooth out the fondant on my cakes... I am wondering if I used a different recipe if the end product would be better?

Thank you so much!

8 replies
cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 9

I'm no expert either, but have watched alot of videos. Go to youtube, there are alot of videos on the subject. I'd try some comercial brands. Wilton brand tastes better to me lately, and it works well. As for the fondant smoother, dust it with cornstarch or powdered sugar so it won't stick. Everyone has their favorite fondant, satin ice, pettinice, fondx, fondarific, i'm sure they all perform well.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 9

most recipes are the same consistency. You do want a little bit thinner layer of bc then make sure it is smooth. Make sure fondant is not to thick or it will pull cake down...also make sure it is same thickness all over.

Then you need 2 fondant smoothers, one to hold cake while you use a little pressure smootheing ith the other smoother. If they are tearing into fondant put a little cornstarch on fondant before you use smoother.

Put the cornstarch in a new knee high tied shut at top and use like a powder puff. I hope this helps

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 9

No to sound like a comercial... but Sharon Zambito's (aka sugarshack) fondant dvd helped me tremendously. I too started with mmf, now I really like Lawanda's white chocolate fondant (it's a lot like michele foster's). After watching the dvd I realized the problem was my technique and not the fondant. I was putting too much bc under it and rolling it too thin (among many other things...). hth

awilder Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the tips! I tried Wilton a few years back and I recall it tasted like bad medicine, blech!!!!! I will have to give it another try if you say they changed it though..

If I use the corn starch to smooth on colored fondant, will the corn starch blend into the color or will it make it look "dusty"?

Thanks so much icon_smile.gif

Bella-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bella-cakes Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 9

if you get cs on your fondant just rub alittle crisco over it, the fondant will absorb it and make the powder disapear..HTH

awilder Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you all!!! I will definately be trying out these tips on my next cake icon_smile.gif

momba5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momba5 Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:04pm
post #8 of 9

It sound to me like you need to knead in more pd sugar to your MMF and roll it a little bit thicker. Sometimes if my fondant dosen't look smooth enough (and it really makes a difference how smooth your cake is underneath) I roll another thin layer of fondant and put it right over the first layer. Works like a charm. Be sure to moisten the first layer with a little water, so the second layer sticks.

awilder Posted 11 May 2010 , 8:08pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by momba5

It sound to me like you need to knead in more pd sugar to your MMF and roll it a little bit thicker. Sometimes if my fondant dosen't look smooth enough (and it really makes a difference how smooth your cake is underneath) I roll another thin layer of fondant and put it right over the first layer. Works like a charm. Be sure to moisten the first layer with a little water, so the second layer sticks.

Thanks! I appreciate any and all tips!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%