Scroll Work Help

Decorating By Maria925 Updated 8 May 2010 , 4:07pm by Maria925

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 7 May 2010 , 12:18pm
post #1 of 3

I would like to attempt my first free hand scroll work. I was wondering if most people use a tilting cake stand for this? I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to do with just a regular turntable. I'm concerned that I won't be able to get the right angle.

Also, should the frosting be the same thin consistency as for writing or thicker (medium)?

Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

2 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 7 May 2010 , 12:33pm
post #2 of 3

For side scroll work, make sure your cake is eye level. I put a small fondant bucket on my turn table and put my cake on it. Do what you feel comfortable and safe, but it is easiest if the cake is eye level. To start off with scroll work, I'd hand re-whip a small amount of icing and add a little water to get it smooth and get the air bubbles out (if any). Start with a 3 or 4 tip and make some "S" scrolls. I would practice this on a piece of parchment so you can get the feel and spacing. Good luck! They only are easy and get better with practice.

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you Debbie! I appreciate your tips and will have to try it. I have visions of my cake tumbling off the bucket so I will try a "tester" cake LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%