Examples Of How To Use An Airbrush Tastefully??

Decorating By vagostino Updated 25 Apr 2012 , 4:01am by KoryAK

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 15

Hi! I've been thinking of getting an airbrush system, I already decided on the model but I'm not sure what I will use it for. I don't do 3D cakes that need airbrushed details (like dogs, or cars etc), just tiered cakes, wedding cakes etc.
Can you point me to pictures where they use an airbrush to enhance the cake without being tacky or graffiti like?
Will it be helpful to color the entire cake instead of kneading the color into the fondant for example?

14 replies
Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 6 May 2010 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 15

I got mine to cover whole cakes because it's a nightmare colouring huge pieces of fondant, really hurst my wrists.

There are some lovely cakes where the colours blend into each other or use stencils.

Lyndsey xx

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:37am
post #3 of 15

what types of cakes do you normally do.? I use it on sheet cakes to fill in my designs, i use it to give a coloured edge. its great to do a sunset or where 2 colours need to blend together. you can deepen your royal, buttercream or GP flowers too.

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:54am
post #4 of 15

I just used my airbrush tonight for the first time. I used it on cupcakes. I also would love to use it to cover cakes. Thanks for posting this question. It will be very helpful. icon_smile.gif
LL

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:55am
post #5 of 15

I also use mine like the first 2 posters.

vagostino Posted 7 May 2010 , 10:28am
post #6 of 15

I only do stacked cakes, squares or rounds, two tiers to four tiers tall with figures on top, cut out shapes , bows etc.
So I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it or if it will enhance my designs. I would love if i can airbrush the whole cake so i don;t have to color the fondant, but I'm not sure if it'll look blotchy. Also I would like to airbrush pieces in silver or gold etc...
Do you think is worth the expense? I google airbrushed cakes but most of them are 3D figures or things that look like something real but made out of cake. I think in those case you must have an airbrush, but in my case it made me doubt...I don;t want to buy it and not use it.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 7 May 2010 , 10:42am
post #7 of 15

i would bet you have seen a lot of airbrushed cakes and never realised it! i dont have any prime examples saved though, but you will come across them. cake wrecks maybe had a sunday sweets about airbrushed cakes... maybe!
alot of people use it for just adding an all over gentle shimmer to their cakes.
the main use of it is to colour the cake, especially good for dark colours which are difficult to do.
maybe try doing a search for air brush topics, and then if people say 'i have one' click on the link at the bottom of their post to see their gallery.
xx

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:37pm
post #9 of 15

Wow!!!! oh my gosh if i can ever do something like this It'll be awesome!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! this is what iv'e been looking for! I would've never guessed this were airbrushed!

Thank you all!

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:56pm
post #10 of 15

i cant wait to get my system

UberSpoonyG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UberSpoonyG Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 8:53pm
post #11 of 15

I have a variety of cake photos on here that I airbrushed. After you see mine, I think you will find that you have many ways to use an airbrush for cakes. Not tacky or graffiti like... but rather you have control of the application. I also have a youtube instructional video of the cake I entered in this months Animal Cake Contest. uberairbrushedcakes has a webpage that has a variety of cakes & styles. You may feel free to email me if you have questions I am always open to help!

This is the airbrushed cake I entered for this months Animal Cake contest. UberSpoonyG is my profile name on CC. If you think my cake is HOT please vote for it ! I have photos on my profile here from previous cake contests. I am looking forward to entering more! I am a full time Studio Artist so I don't have as much time for cakes yet as I would like! uberairbrushedcakes Feel free to visit my page and email me if you have questions or need help!

Anthea45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anthea45 Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 12:09am
post #12 of 15

Hi, it's my 40th birthday and my family would like to buy me a air brush tool icon_smile.gif could someone please recommend one that they use and love x thank you as I don't want my family to spend their money on one that isn't any good! I can't wait to play though icon_smile.gif x

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 12:59am
post #13 of 15

I have a Paasche Talon, and I absolutely LOVE it. I've been using it for a couple years now and I have never once had a clog. It's a little pricey, but it's so much better than any other airbrush I've ever used, that I would highly recommend it.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 1:19am
post #14 of 15

I just recently purchased an air brush and I have only finished one cake so far and can't wait to do more but here is the one I did
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2307328/mamas-garden

and I hope to use an flowers, accents and what ever I can just to use it, my only question is what are the color tintings to use that are best? I had a few issues with it coming out of the nozel with an easy flow. Any comments could help.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 4:01am
post #15 of 15

I have had my KopyKake for years and i love it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%