New Here, How Do I Make Sugar Cookies That Do Not Puff Up

Baking By farleyv Updated 2 Dec 2010 , 4:53am by Debi2

farleyv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farleyv Posted 6 May 2010 , 11:15am
post #1 of 8

Hi All, I just joined.

I am starting a cookie bouquet business from home.

I am trying to find a sugar cookie recipie that holds firm to a stick, is soft and chewy and yet holds its shape very well when baked. Not asking much, am I?

I made an excellent shape holding cookie from a very popular cookie book, but it was so hard! It kept its shape beautifully, yet it tasted a day old when it came out of the oven.

I since have made 4 other recipies and have had various success. This last one I tried is probably the best, but puffs up a tad more than I want. It makes flooding impossible. I don't just want cookies that look perfect, they have to be good tasting and have a nice texture.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

7 replies
dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 6 May 2010 , 11:29am
post #2 of 8

Hi... welcome...

go to our recipe link.. and search for rolled sugar cookies and there are a lot of recipes there...

hth

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 6 May 2010 , 11:59am
post #3 of 8

If they puff too much to me flooded, use the back of a spoon when they came out of the oven icon_smile.gif

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 8

I think it's definitely a mater of taste... what recipe you like, I mean icon_lol.gif

Some of the recipes that it seems like people use most often are the NFSC (no-fail sugar cookie), Penney's cookies, or KHalstead's modified sugar cookie recipe. But there are plenty more out there... I think you'll just have to keep trying them until you find one that's the flavor and consistency that you want and still holds it's shape. I tried 4 or 5 before I found the one I use now (and I actually tweak that recipe a little bit).

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 8

Have you tried NFSC? this recipe is really no fail. You must refrigerate the dough after you roll it out, and after you cut the shapes to be sure that there will be no spreading. And they taste great. I always add a little orange zest to the dough for more intense flavor. Good luck.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:59am
post #6 of 8

leave out the baking powder in your recipe; this will cause then not to puff up.

awilder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awilder Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 8

I used the No Fail Sugar Cookie recipe on this site and they turned out wonderful with no puffing whatsoever.

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 4:53am
post #8 of 8

To flatten the puffed up cookies, I just smooth my spatula gently over the tops of the cookies right when they come out of the oven. I saw this on a video somewhere and it works great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%