Cake Size Question

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 6 May 2010 , 10:58am by mamawrobin

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 6 May 2010 , 7:47am
post #1 of 5

I will try to post a picture of the cake my cousin gave me in a magazine. I call it the ugly cake. I am trying to figure out what size cakes to make. I was thinking of making a 14, 10 and 7. The bride will not be keeping the top tier and it needs to feed 120 people. If I have to I will make cupcakes for extra servings. I want the proportions to resemble the picture. Can anyone tell me what colors to use for the base icing and the different shades of grass. The lady at the cake store told me leaf green and yellow. I would appreciate any help. I was thinking about making the bottom tier three inches high and the top two four inches. The bottom is an actual piece of wood but she wants me to make the bottom out of cake. Hope this makes since. TIA.
LL

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:00am
post #2 of 5

Those sizes will give you enough servings.

It doesn't have to be that ugly...maybe you can make the yellow a little lighter. For the grass, leaf green, kelly green, moss green, juniper green and brown. Instead of making solid colors of fondant for the grass, try marbling two shades together for a more natural look.

sweettreat101 Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:08am
post #3 of 5

You are awesome. Thank you for the color info. This cake has been haunting me since January. I was told her aunt would be making the cake but then the aunt doesn't work with fondant so I got stuck with it. Do you think I need to add tylose to the fondant grass or will cutting and letting it dry a little work fine? Do you think two pounds of fondant for the grass is enough or would I need more. I need to place my order this week. What about the three inch height of the bottom cake. The top two will probably actually come out to 4.5 inches because of the filling. TIA.

sweettreat101 Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:13am
post #4 of 5

Have you used Fondarific fondant? I like the flavor of the chocolate but the color is a little light any suggestions? I also need to make a grooms cake any ideas? I want something to wow them at work on Monday.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 May 2010 , 10:58am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

You are awesome. Thank you for the color info. This cake has been haunting me since January. I was told her aunt would be making the cake but then the aunt doesn't work with fondant so I got stuck with it. Do you think I need to add tylose to the fondant grass or will cutting and letting it dry a little work fine? Do you think two pounds of fondant for the grass is enough or would I need more. I need to place my order this week. What about the three inch height of the bottom cake. The top two will probably actually come out to 4.5 inches because of the filling. TIA.

I'd just cut out the grass and let it dry a bit before putting on the cake. Two pounds will be more than enough for the grass. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%