Anyone Have A 'less Sweet' Version Of Cream Cheese Frosting?

Baking By aDBakes Updated 6 May 2010 , 7:19am by ceshell

aDBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aDBakes Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:14am
post #1 of 5

I'm hoping to find a cream cheese frosting recipe that is a version of a swiss meringue buttercream with cream cheese.

I have tried the powdered sugar version of cream cheese frosting and even adding less powdered sugar it still tastes too sweet to me.

Does anyone have a recipe that they can share? I searched recipes here on CC but didn't find any recipes that did not contain PS.

TIA icon_smile.gif

4 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:58am
post #2 of 5

I don't think there is a specific "different" recipe for using cc with smbc. You simply fold the cc in. Let it soften to room temp first and whip it, to make it easier to fold in. Don't try to beat it in or you may break the smbc.

I have done this with IMBC and it's deeeeeeeeelicious. Check out the IMBC/SMBC recipes, some of them will state, at the bottom, just how much cc you can add into a batch. I think it's roughly around 1/3 cup...but don't quote me on that!

aDBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aDBakes Posted 6 May 2010 , 7:02am
post #3 of 5

Thanks ceshell, that's what I was thinking but I never quite found a recipe for swiss meringue buttercream that had a cream cheese variation. I was hoping someone had one that could give the exact measurement of cream cheese. I just might have to start experimenting icon_wink.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 May 2010 , 7:12am
post #4 of 5
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 6 May 2010 , 7:19am
post #5 of 5

Oh wow, they didn't add in any butter to that??? icon_eek.gif! I wonder how that version holds up??

You know, I have also read others using the regular recipe but subbing out some of the butter for cc. Personally I'm sticking to just folding in the cc as an "addition"...it worked before so I am too chicken to try something else icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%