Gumpaste For A Sailboat Sail? Advice, Please!!!

Decorating By JGMB Updated 20 Jun 2010 , 7:15pm by JGMB

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 5 May 2010 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 6

I usually only work with buttercream. I've never used gumpaste before, but I'd like to make a little boat like on the cake below. I think I could use modeling chocolate for the boat, but I assume not for the sail. So, would gumpaste be best? I bought some Wilton, but have no idea what to do next.

Do I just roll it out, cut it into the sail shape, then lay it on something with a slight curve to dry? How would I hook it onto a wooden skewer mast?

ANY and all advice would be appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance!!

Julie
LL

5 replies
JGMB Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:09am
post #2 of 6

Anyone, please, please, please?

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:20am
post #3 of 6

Looks like you would wrap a piece of gumpaste around a dowel, and then lay it out to dry. The other part would be wired, and then they would be wrapped together at the bottom, maybe with brown floral tape? That's how I'd do it.
I would make sure to give the sail at least a week to dry.
You roll it out like fondant, then you work fairly quickly. If not in use, the rest should be covered at all times so it doesn't get crusty. Cut with a pizza cutter. Attach to dowel with water or egg white.

JGMB Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:32am
post #4 of 6

Thank you so much, Jentreu! Wish me luck!! icon_smile.gif

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 7 May 2010 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 6

I didn't wrap mine but that is a good idea. I had the wooden frame made (by my husband) I cut the sail and let it dry for quite a few days. Then I attached it to the dowels with white chocolate. Worked great.

JGMB Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 6

I just wanted to let y'all know that I did it! It's not perfect by any means, but the people at church loved it. (Apparently, they've never seen CC with all of its magnificent cakes -- and I intend to keep it that way! icon_twisted.gif )

This cake was for the center of the table, then we boxed it up and gave it to the pastor and his wife to take home. I also made enough sheetcakes to cut in the kitchen and feed 300 people!!!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%