Icing Cracking When Transporting Unstacked Layers & Othe

Decorating By Cakeasyoulikeit Updated 5 May 2010 , 11:32pm by Occther

Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 5

So here's my issue. When making larger cakes that I transport unstacked, I am having problems with the icing cracking. The base is completely supported, but since I am going to be stacking the other cakes, they are just on a cake round. So when I have to move these cakes around (to put in the car, out of the car, out of the box and then onto the cake), obviously they are not supported enough. What do I do?

Also, any suggestions on how to get the tiers stacked onto each other without too much pressure hitting the bottom tiers? I can't seem to find a "gentle" way to get the cakes properly centered and onto the supporting tier. And I can't properly support them when trying to place on the bottom tiers either.

Am I making sense? I am just frustrated by cracks appearing in a beautiful finished product! icon_cry.gif

For example, you can see a little of the filling bulge in this picture. These cakes were filled and crumb coated one day, iced the next and then delivered and stacked the third, so it's not a settling issue.
LL

4 replies
Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 5 May 2010 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 5

By a cake-round do you mean one of those flimsy cardboard things wilton sells?? If so, than that is why your icing is cracking. You need to have each cake on something that is not going to flex. Either glue 2 or 3 of those babies together or use something stronger. Most people use foamcore, but it's a pain in the butt to cut out.

I highly recommend buying Sharon Zambito's successful stacking DVD. She goes through each step. If you support your cake properly, you shouldn't need to stack on site. HTH thumbs_up.gif

Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 5 May 2010 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 5

So, I am confused. I have never heard of placing something other than a regular (flimsy) cardboard under a stacked layer. Have I totally been missing the boat on this?

I would have had to have stacked this cake onsite no matter what. It was so heavy when completed that I couldn't even shift it on the cake table! icon_eek.gif

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 5 May 2010 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 5

Well, stacking on site is just preference. Personally, I like to stack at home. But, yes, you have been missing the mark on what's under each tier icon_surprised.gif Sorry, hope that doesn't sound rude. You need something that doesn't flex. Do a search for foamcore or foam board; there are lots of posts discussing it. Use that and you won't get any flex, and no cracks. Also, if you're not already using high-ratio shortening, I've noticed it is much less prone to fractures. HTH icon_rolleyes.gif

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 5 May 2010 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 5

I always use at least two cardboard circles under round tiers. I tape them together - making sure that the grain is at a right angle (look at the end of the cirles and then make sure they are in opposite directions.) Then I cover them with Glad Press N Seal. To transport, I often put on a cake drum or sturdier board and remove only when I get ready to stack.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%