Silver Edible Paint?!?!?!?!?!?

Decorating By ashby1983 Updated 7 May 2010 , 3:26pm by Musings9

ashby1983 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashby1983 Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 14

I have tried a few times to make silver edible paint, but it's never truly silver. It's usually just shimmer. I've been told to add the pearl dust with a little bit of clear alcohol. Is there a ratio? I'm not sure if I'm not waiting long enough or if there isn't enough pearl dust/alcohol ratio. Does anyone have a tip? TIA

13 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 14

I wet my brush in vodka and then in silver. You need the mixture thick for it to be silver.

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 14

I recently made a crawfish pot and just used straight silver airbrush color - it looked great.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 14

I use nu silver luster dust and vodka. I mix it until it's blended thick but running. It dries fast so just go over it like 3 times and add some more vodka if the bowl dries out some. Mine is totally covered. I have a cake in photos that was 3tiers and red roses with silver cut out fondant hearts and you can see it works good. Do golds the same way. Just have to have the right luster dust believe me.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 5 May 2010 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashby1983

I have tried a few times to make silver edible paint, but it's never truly silver. It's usually just shimmer. I've been told to add the pearl dust with a little bit of clear alcohol. Is there a ratio? I'm not sure if I'm not waiting long enough or if there isn't enough pearl dust/alcohol ratio. Does anyone have a tip? TIA

If you're using a pearl dust then you will only get a shimmer. For actual silver paint, try using silver luster dust, mixed with vodka (cheaper) or lemon essence (Waaaay more expensive).

HTH.

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 5 May 2010 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 14

I need to pipe some silver scrollwork on a cake I have coming up next month. Can I use the airbrush silver mixed with some royal icing, or does anyone know something that works better? I bought the silver for all-over silver on cakes, but for small scrollwork?

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 5 May 2010 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 14

I dont know if you'll still get silver if you mix the airbrush color with RI. You may need to pipe and then paint over with silver. Maybe someone else can chip in with a better idea.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:30am
post #8 of 14

When I first tried to make the silver paint, I was using Wilton silver luster dust. It just doesn't work. I finally got some from GSA that works beautifully. It was nu-silver.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:40am
post #9 of 14

Nu-silver is awesome. make paint with the luster dust and everclear and have at it. icon_biggrin.gif

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:24am
post #10 of 14

If you are going for a silver metallic look and only have access to Wilton lustre dust, then dry dust. I have found that is the best way to get the look.
Make your fondant a dark grey, then brush on the lustre dust with a clean (new) make-up brush. I have a set of make-up brushes I bought cheap and use them for cake decorating. I just used that effect on my BlackBerry cake in my photos. BTW: I used most of a container for the size of cake (it was carved out of a 9X13). Good luck.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:34am
post #11 of 14

You have to put the royal icing piped work on the mix NU SILVER LUSTER DUST with vodka then paint it on , it does work well and covers nicely. Make sure the royal is dry though.

VinaBaby75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VinaBaby75 Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:53am
post #12 of 14

I use (Americolor)Silver Sheen Air Brush Color . I paint with brush,

Dragonfly2969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dragonfly2969 Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:05pm
post #13 of 14

I am making a cake that will be served to people in AA - I can't use vodka to make the silver paint. Any other suggestions that are not super expensive?

Musings9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Musings9 Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:26pm
post #14 of 14

I use Nu Silver mixed w/ a couple drops of vanilla. You want the consistency to be rather thick but, not too thick. I also do several coats to give it a good metallic look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%