*cry* We'll Never Get Curtains Downstairs!

Lounge By emrldsky Updated 5 May 2010 , 11:19pm by rosiecast

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 10

We have two VERY large windows downstairs in our home. I don't want fancy curtains, but it seems those are the only ones we can find to fit the windows. They are three windows, side-by-side, to create one huge window, measuring 104" wide. We'd also like curtains that go to the floor, which would be 84" long.

I've found some I like, from sites that have horrible customer service reviews. I can't sew, and I don't even own a sewing machine. Prices on custom curtains are unreasonable (or is it our budget?). icon_sad.gif

We'd prefer not to get the rod-topped curtains, but maybe pinch-pleat, tabbed or grommet (the latter being nearly impossible).

I'd like to not spend more than $200 per window (two panels for each).

I've been looking locally for months now, and have looked online. I feel as if I'm at my wits end and I really would like advice. Any places I should check out?

I've looked at: Amazon, JC Penney, Bed Bath & Beyond, Overstock.com, Linensource (BAD reviews) and Bed and Bath Store (BAD reviews).

Please help!

9 replies
TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 10

my moms front room window is the same size as yours. Last week, or maybe two weeks ago? She found curtains on sale at JcPenneys, they are nice curtains including thermal blockage for the summer and winter. They are a nice light shade of brown and have grommets at the top so they just sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide across the curtain rod. She loves them! They were 85.99 a panel, but when she bought them, it was buy one at reg. price, get the same item for .1! So she made out like a bandit on them ... they are nice looking though ...

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 10

Check craigslist for people that sew. I had a costume made by someone I found there.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 10

Or if you have a sewing machine, just make them yourself, then you have many more options on colors and patterns for the fabrics.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiecast

Check craigslist for people that sew. I had a costume made by someone I found there.

maybe you can barter a cake for some curtains

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 10

smartbargains.com

also, my personal favorite...
dealnews.com
they post TONS of awesome sales, but you have to keep checking back throughout the day
icon_smile.gif Good Luck

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks everyone! While I was whining about my poor luck in finding affordable curtains, my dear, wonderful, loving husband found an online retailer with good reviews, and curtains that we wanted!!!!!

$240+ tax and shipping, and we have curtains for BOTH windows. We got the hardware from Lowes, so that's not an additional cost at this point. icon_biggrin.gif

I should make him some cupcakes.... icon_wink.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 May 2010 , 10:26pm
post #8 of 10

we used to have a HUGE front window in our old house and I found these really cool bed sheets that I just loved!!! (they were already seamed around the outside and hemmed nicely) I bought 6 top sheets in a package, bought some grommets and a grommet gun and went to work putting the grommets in and then we slid them all onto a decorative rod.

The people who bought our house gave us more than our asking price and their only request was that we LEAVE the curtains on that window LOL

Maybe if you think out of the box??

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 May 2010 , 10:50pm
post #9 of 10

I'm glad you found some.

I was going to suggest Ross. I have a window that's 144" wide in my bedroom and I bought curtains at Ross last night for $100 including the rod. They're the room-darkening kind, tan-colored faux suede. It was hard to wake up today because my bedroom was so cool and dark and comfortable compared to usual. I already had the thick mini blinds but they didn't keep out enough of the heat or light.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 5 May 2010 , 11:19pm
post #10 of 10

Yay! glad you got such a great deal... I want pics. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%