Your Laugh For The Day!

Decorating By SharonK1973 Updated 5 May 2010 , 5:16am by mommyle

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:09am
post #1 of 8

Ok... this might be a little long, but its only because there are so many funny parts to the story.

Bride in my church is having her wedding the Sunday before my finals in school, so I turned down her request for making her cake. ( I usually bring cakes to potlucks and just charge a minimal fee when they order one for a church function). They asked me if I knew anyone to refer them to, I said I do, but they are probably going to have to pay a whole lot more than I would charge. Then I told them a story about a cake I recently made for a friend and gave her a huge discount as a gift. The cake could have easily been like $900.00, but I made it for $500.00. When they heard that my charge was $500.00 they started acting like they were about to faint over the "high" $500.00 price!!! At this point I was thinking in my mind, just how much were they planning on paying for a cake considering they have over 200 guests for their wedding!!!! Anyway, I left it at that and they were going to try out different local bakeries. A couple weeks later, I bumped into the groom and he was complaining to me that the lowest they have been able to get a quote for was $1,000.00. I was like, "yeah... that's the average price of a cake that size." Being the idiot he was, he actually had told one of them that he knows someone who makes cakes and it doesn't cost that much!!!!! Like these places are just there to make cakes for the fun of it and don't need to make money from it! Well, then the bride spoke to me a couple hours later and I was trying to tell her that maybe she could get some church ladies to help her bake all this cake if she can't afford it and get some simple type of decoration to make it look presentable. So I took out my iphone to look for a picture of a simple, but nice looking decorated cake I had on there. Same time, the groom comes up and is like, "what are you doing? Bragging about all the cakes you've done?" I told him no I was just trying to save them some money on their wedding cake. Then he was like "Oh, $1,000.00? that's nothing.!" Like I said, groom = idiot. So he walked away and the bride now started to ask me about advice I could give to her so she can bake her own cake. So I told her that you need a good recipe, good pans and a good oven and started listing out things like good flour, sugar, milk eggs etc.

Now here comes the funniest part of the story... she asked, "So what are the eggs for?"!!!!!!!!!! Then when we started talking about setting up a cake, I told her she also had to think about her internal structure. She looked so puzzled and was like "Oh... you don't just set the cakes on top on each other?"

I am so glad I will in no way, shape or form be involved in that wedding! One's an idiot and the other is clueless. Last I heard, they were going to go for a tasting at another posh place that is actually pretty expensive, but as ignorant as they are, they were thinking maybe they can get a better deal at this place! I am glad that they are realizing that when I make a cake to donate or just charge for the ingredients, I am not after all, getting rich off of anyone! Oh... did I mention... their wedding is in 1 month!

7 replies
sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:20am
post #2 of 8

GOOD LUCK TO THEM!!! Some people just don't seem to understand the time and effort involved in making a lovely cake! Glad you had an excuse to turn them down!! icon_smile.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:21am
post #3 of 8

those couple are a dime a dozen.. sorta like those eggs.. hehehehhe

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:34am
post #4 of 8

sounds like they'll be heading off to walmart for some nice sheet cakes!!!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:45am
post #5 of 8

What are the eggs for? LMAO........OMG......... you should have told her that they are for her husband to be to suck on!

cakebaby59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby59 Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:55am
post #6 of 8

You gotta wonder sometimes what planet??? LOL

krcm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krcm Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:02am
post #7 of 8

Man I almost feel sorry for couples like this. To get their hopes up only to realize they can't afford it! LOL

My soon to be sister in law and brother have a 500+ guest wedding and they're only getting a cake to feed 300 guests. They figure some won't eat and some will. They're not going to provide a piece for each and every guest. I couldn't agree with them more.

Well, they only decided this once they realized how much the cake was going to cost icon_smile.gif LOL. So they're getting a very small tiered cake with sheet cakes.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:16am
post #8 of 8

Eggs??? DUH!!!! So I have enough energy on the morning of your wedding to bake and decorate your cake for delivery at 3:00 pm!!!! HELLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%