Customer Is Asking If I Can Sub. Palm Oil For Crisco?

Baking By MJoycake Updated 8 May 2010 , 1:51am by ctorno

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 4 May 2010 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 15

Hi All...

I have a customer looking to order 200 cupcakes for their outdoor wedding in June this year. I'm in Virginia, where it can be in the mid to upper 90's on a late-June afternoon. She first wanted all-butter buttercream, which I said no to, being that it will melt out there in the heat. I normally do a butter/crisco blend for my buttercream and she's asking if I can substitute palm oil for the crisco (she says she'll go with the Crisco if we have to but is hoping for a more natural alternative, which I'm not opposed to if it will hold up). Has anyone tried this? I've read that solid palm oil has a melting temp of 33-39 degrees celsius (91-102 fahrenheit). Any advice???

14 replies
Shalott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shalott Posted 4 May 2010 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 15

I've never tried to use it in an icing, but from my experience, palm oil does melt at a lower temperature than Crisco. I don't think it melts as fast as butter though.

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 4 May 2010 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 15

palm oil "more natural alternative".... im guessing your bride isnt aware of the damage that palm oil havesting is doing to the environment plus it tastes so bad that cadbury australia was forced to stop using it when the aussies protested on mass about it being introduced into our chocolate

sorry no actual advice but some info when talking to your bride

LayerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LayerCakes Posted 4 May 2010 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 15

why not use a non dairy buttercream like we use in the south..holds up much better (although not sure 90+ anything does well)

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 4 May 2010 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 15

I'm wondering if your customer is concerned about hydrogenated fats (trans fats) and that being the reason she would not like Crisco. If so, maybe she would be ok. with the trans fat free version of Crisco.
If your customer still insists on palm oil, there are shortenings made with palm oil that you could buy. The one that I buy is from Whole Foods and is all white and comes out with great taste and has consistency just like a Crisco shortening. It is made with palm oil, is organic and also trans fat free. The brand is Spectrum. It's more expensive but if she really wants it she will probably be willing to pay extra for it! HTH

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:05am
post #6 of 15

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

This versatile recipe works for everything from a cake frosting to a decadent topping for cinnamon rolls. The frosting may be used immediately or stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to one week. Makes enough to generously frost and fill one 8- or 9-inch layer cake or 24 cupcakes.

2 cups organic palm oil shortening
2 cups Marshmallow Cream
3 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt

For directions, see below. (Mod edited.)

Source: http://www.livingwithout.com/recipes/chocolate_buttercream_frosting-1965-1.html

LayerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LayerCakes Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:08am
post #7 of 15

Really not sure the palm buttercream will hold up to the southern heat and humidity...maybe do a trial run and put it someplace that's hot and humid (hot water heater closet, washroom etc)

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:33am
post #8 of 15

Isn't palm oil one of the worst oils for your heart? She's crazy!

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:41am
post #9 of 15

I haven't seen ANY Crisco that is hydrogenated oil free - even those marked "trans fat free", when I read the label, still says "FULLY hydrogenated oil". Which has me running in the opposite direction.
And I would guess that's the customer's concern, since she's specifically mentioning Crisco.

MzPinkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MzPinkie Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:48am
post #10 of 15

I have used Spectrum before (you can get it at Whole Foods or Wegmans if u r in VA). I love it. I was really against using any sort of crisco like product in buttercream, but Spectrum really does the job! I was that type of bride, wanting an all (vegan) butter buttercream (but I got married in the Fall in Ohio...) but I have since learned that a little shortening helps. Plus as some peeps have mentioned, palm oil is really bad. In oh so many ways...i wont go into any more than that. Good luck, I hope you can come to a agreement with your bride!! Let us know how it turns out! icon_biggrin.gif

Adevag Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:57am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyJG

I haven't seen ANY Crisco that is hydrogenated oil free - even those marked "trans fat free", when I read the label, still says "FULLY hydrogenated oil". Which has me running in the opposite direction.
And I would guess that's the customer's concern, since she's specifically mentioning Crisco.

Oh, that's what I suspected! I have never used Crisco so I have never read their labels, only heard about their trans-fat free version. But I know that USDA lets you mark your product with 0% trans fat if you have less than 0.5% hydrogenated oils in it. So when I buy a product, I always read the ingredients.
One more thing DebbyJG- I LOVE your signature!!!! That is EXACTLY why I also homeschool!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:05am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adevag

But I know that USDA lets you mark your product with 0% trans fat if you have less than 0.5% hydrogenated oils in it. So when I buy a product, I always read the ingredients.
One more thing DebbyJG- I LOVE your signature!!!! That is EXACTLY why I also homeschool!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Well, I'm not too keen on USDA's opinion on matters of nutrition anyway... (seen Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution yet?)
And, thanks! Mass-produced is not good for LOTS of things - not just cakes! icon_smile.gif

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:02am
post #13 of 15

Thank you for all of your responses. I am meeting with the bride on Saturday and plan to do a test run with palm oil shortening if she really wants it....but had no idea about the negative aspects of palm oil as opposed to the other shortenings....I'll do some more research. Thanks again.

Adevag Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:37am
post #14 of 15

Let us know how it goes on Saturday. I'm sure she will appreciate the fact that you are taking your time to do research just for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyJG

Well, I'm not too keen on USDA's opinion on matters of nutrition anyway... (seen Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution yet?)

I just heard about Food Revolution. Thanks for the reminder. The last movie I watched that really touched me was Food Inc. And I always make sure I give my "3 votes/day" (that the movie talks about) to the ones I believe in.

ctorno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctorno Posted 8 May 2010 , 1:51am
post #15 of 15

You may no longer need this, but I have used Spectrum Organic shortening which is with palm oil. I have found It is firmer in texture so you might need more liquid. I have used part spectrum with crisco to cut the greasiness of the crisco, or firm up the icing if butter or cream cheese was in it. I found no flavor issues. I made a cake with all palm oil shortening before and it was quite firm.

I can't speak to environmental issues...guess I should look into it.

Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%