How To Make Eyeglasses

Decorating By mcjrix Updated 7 May 2010 , 7:12pm by mcjrix

mcjrix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcjrix Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 6

I am doing a cake for this weekend and they have requested that the fondant girl that I am putting in the cake has red eyeglasses like their daughter does. Any ideas on how to make the red eyeglasses?

5 replies
casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 4 May 2010 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 6

could you just use thin red jewelry wire, and make sure they take them off the figure before serving? If not I have been able to make very tiny things with straight gumpaste, I would make all three sections separatley and after they dry glue them together with gumpaste glue. It is hard to make tiny tiny things.

astone83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
astone83 Posted 4 May 2010 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 6

Could go acouple different ways depending on how big the glasses need to be and how comfortable you are doing different things.

1. Isomalt. tint one small batch red and leave the other clear and pour into a mold - OR- pour the lens into the molds and after they harden use your prefered medium to make the frames.

2. Fondant/ gumpaste/ modeling choc.... molded into the shape with whit in the center and insert a black dot for the eye's.

mcjrix Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:25pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the ideas! They are going to be pretty small and I had seen pictures that looked like others used jewelry wire I just didn't know that they made red jewelry wire. I'll have to see if I can find some.

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 5 May 2010 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 6

I found mine at michaels in the jewelry section and at Hobby Lobby. They carry several different colors. Good Luck.

mcjrix Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 6

I did find it at Hobby Lobby and it worked great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%