Cupcakes At Farmers Market

Business By fsinger84 Updated 12 Feb 2012 , 6:04pm by Bridgette1129

fsinger84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fsinger84 Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 10

Hello all.

First things first. Yes I am licensed and legal. Finally! : )

I am needing some advice for farmers market cupcakes.

First of all what do you do to keep the icing from melting? Do you use coolers ect? I am planning on getting the boxes from brp and I was thinking that ice packs would sweat and ruin the boxes. I need something sturdy for the cupcakes to be in because all cupcakes must be prepackaged and my house is all they way across town, many chances for the cuppies to fall over!

How many flavors do you have available. I was thinking 4-6 flavors would be a good range. I plan on having at least one chocolate based flavor a week and one vegan/gluten free one at least. I have about 25 flavors/kinds available by special order for pick up and I thought 4-6 would be a manageable number.

Do you sell individual cupcakes or cupcakes by a certain # (half doz, doz ect). I am thinking about doing a bunch of individual cupcakes, minis by the dozen and cupcake truffles by the dozen.

9 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 4 May 2010 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 10

I've been wondering this too. A new farmer's market just opened in my area and it got me thinking.

I recently purchased a large white styrofoam cooler (I think it was called Huskee Hercules or something like that). I thought several of those with some ice packs could hold a decent amount of cupcakes and keep them sufficiently cool and out of the sun. The cuppies could be on racks inside, then be boxed up when purchased.

It's getting hot in Texas already ... last weekend I attended my niece's 1st birthday at a park and the poor cupcake cake melted.

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 4 May 2010 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsinger84

Hello all.

First things first. Yes I am licensed and legal. Finally! : )

I am needing some advice for farmers market cupcakes.

First of all what do you do to keep the icing from melting? Do you use coolers ect? I am planning on getting the boxes from brp and I was thinking that ice packs would sweat and ruin the boxes. I need something sturdy for the cupcakes to be in because all cupcakes must be prepackaged and my house is all they way across town, many chances for the cuppies to fall over!

How many flavors do you have available. I was thinking 4-6 flavors would be a good range. I plan on having at least one chocolate based flavor a week and one vegan/gluten free one at least. I have about 25 flavors/kinds available by special order for pick up and I thought 4-6 would be a manageable number.

Do you sell individual cupcakes or cupcakes by a certain # (half doz, doz ect). I am thinking about doing a bunch of individual cupcakes, minis by the dozen and cupcake truffles by the dozen.

I just started selling at my local farmers market on Saturdays. I do sell cupcakes individually in addition to some other things. I price them at $2.00 each with a simple swirl of buttercream. I have found indivudual cupcake containers at a local supply store that are just perfect for such. I usually bring about three different flavors. Last Saturday was 90 degrees and my buttercream did not melt. I was under a shaded tent however and I have a great recipe for buttercream that holds up pretty well.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 5 May 2010 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 10

I was under a shaded tent however and I have a great recipe for buttercream that holds up pretty well.[/quote]

That's what I was going to say! Try to find a recipe that stands up well in the heat!

cupcakemommy76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemommy76 Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:43am
post #5 of 10

Hello, Im in GA and I was wondering what type of license is needed to sell cupcakes at the farmers market or do you know what agency to contact pertaining to licensing.

Kpow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kpow Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemommy76

Hello, Im in GA and I was wondering what type of license is needed to sell cupcakes at the farmers market or do you know what agency to contact pertaining to licensing.

In Georgia, it all depends on your specific county's regulations.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 10

sometimes your farmer's market will spell out for you exactly what you need when you request registration with them. that may be an easy start.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 May 2010 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 10

Or you could call your health dept and talk to them!

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 6:36am
post #9 of 10

Does anyone else have any input for how to present or store cupcakes so they don't melt. I don't want to use a shortening based frosting so I'm unsure if my frosting will hold up.

It doesn't get too hot where I live so hopefully I won't have too much of a problem. I'm getting all the legalities figured out for my business and then I'd like to sell at the market for the summer!

Any tips would be appreciated.

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 6:04pm
post #10 of 10

Bump icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%