Gluten Intolerance/celiace With Business???

Business By korkyo Updated 10 May 2010 , 2:39am by korkyo

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 4 May 2010 , 11:56am
post #1 of 12

I've just been diagnosed with celiace disease. I have a cake business.

Anyone out there with the same situatuation? This is only day 2 of my research for this........ but from what I see I won't be able to even TASTE my cake. What if I try new flavors? Rely on others to tell me what they think?

Somehow that's just not the same.
Anyone??

11 replies
tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:13pm
post #2 of 12

I don't have celiac but do have diabetes. Did a cake last night and could not even taste the frosting (in the past I did and gained 40 pounds in 11 months) just prayed it is okay tasting. Hope you find a solution.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:13pm
post #3 of 12

My whole family is gluten intolerant, and my aunt is a nutritionist who specializes in gluten intolerance. I stopped eating it for 3 weeks last fall because I was afraid I had an intolerance too, but turns out I'm safe for now icon_smile.gif You have to be VERY careful what you eat. You absolutely can't taste your cakes, but I have had very good success making several GF cakes. Have you considered starting to sell them? A great book to get you used to the idea of being gluten free is "The G Free Diet"... I read it, and it explains a lot about why your body reacts like it does and how to help it. Good luck to you!

60sBunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
60sBunny Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 12

I'm not coeliac, but I am wheat intolerant so i have the same problem.

As stupid as it sounds, you learn to use your other senses.

I can tell if i'm happy with a cake recipe by inspecting the crumb, smell, how the batter came together and how it baked.

but when push comes to shove i need someone else to eat it for me, it sucks but i'm still in business....

I have a variety of tasters for each new recipe. DB will eat anything so he's not the best judge, family are over critical and workmate range from just glad its free to descriptively honest.

I have one more word of comfort for you though...

FROSTING, that baby is all yours.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 4 May 2010 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 12

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

I have a friend who's child has celiac. She cannot use lotions and such with gluten in them (such as Aveeno) because she worries about touching him. Some people say topical gluten isn't a problem, and other reports reactions, so it seems like there isn't enough know about that yet. http://www.celiac.com/articles/35/1/Can-products-which-contain-gluten-but-only-touch-the-skin-affect-celiacs/Page1.html

Perhaps, this is your call to be the town gluten-free baker. I know around here, people get very excited when they hear there is a bakery or restaurant that caters to gluten-free items. I think there is one in NYC that is getting quite popular because it is gluten-free.

http://www.babycakesnyc.com/

http://tu-lusbakery.com/about/

If you go that route, consider contacting restaurants and such to offer your items. I bet they would be popular.

Best of luck to you!

korkyo Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:20am
post #6 of 12

Thanks everyone.

I'm still in the "not happy about this" phase. I'll get over it in a week or so. One person from the support group I talked to said I may even have to wear a mask when I bake just to make sure.

I've been asked for diabetic cakes and I have considered it. I'll give this a couple months and get myself straightened out and then reconsider diabetic and GF cake idea. It would be a naturla extension.

AmandaLP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaLP Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:01am
post #7 of 12

there is a HUGE need for gluten free cakes. So many people have issues with gluten that they need special cakes, and many more people who order for groups also want to make sure that as many people who can eat the cake the better.

Try out gluten free baking mixes and recipes. They will be more expensive to prepare than traditional cakes, but you can charge higher prices for it as well.

jennywenny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywenny Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:25am
post #8 of 12

Check out gluten free girl and the chef blog, she totally rocks! I agree that its possible that you might have a niche that you can fill, there are a lot of people who are looking for gluten free alternatives. There is a fantasic recipe in the planet cake book, which I absolutely love.

Bob's red mill should be your new friend as they have lots of interesting gluten free products.

Good luck! And I cant possibly understand what you are going through, since I dont share your condition, but I'm interested in baking for everyone.

midlight21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midlight21 Posted 10 May 2010 , 1:19am
post #9 of 12

I'm in the same boat! Luckily though, my sister and her friend are cake decorators too and will taste my cakes and give honest opinions. My sister even made me gluten free cupcakes for my birthday last year.

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 10 May 2010 , 1:34am
post #10 of 12

AmadaLP is right.. there is a huge market for gluten free cakes... I am one of a few in my area who will do gluten free cakes & people w/allegeries are so greatful... There is a niche waiting for you :0)

PS: try the Gluten Free Gorumet books :0)

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 10 May 2010 , 1:38am
post #11 of 12

I am not gluten intolerant, but my grown daughter is. I've learned lots about gluten free baking from bread to cookies and cakes. There is a niche out there for gluten free baked products and you will learn about all the wonderful alternatives out there. More and more supermarkets are carrying gluten free foods and ingredients.
Your friends can be your taste testers for your regular cakes and you will soon become an expert at the gluten free stuff. Good luck and have fun with it!

korkyo Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:39am
post #12 of 12

Well one week later and I can see that it's not going to be that difficult. Still sucks but I can manage.

I think my 11 year old son is taking it harder than me in some respects. He's sad FOR me that I cna't eat cake. He's going to be my sample person. He's very good at telling me about flavor, texture and moistness.

He did one sweet thing and asked if I could make a Glutten free cake for HIS BD coming up so I could have some of his cake with everyone. How sweet. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%