How Can I Decide Which Pan Size To Use?

Decorating By Shepsit Updated 7 May 2010 , 8:05pm by prterrell

Shepsit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shepsit Posted 4 May 2010 , 9:36am
post #1 of 6

Hi all,

I was wondering what size of cake pans serve for how many people.
Like:

18 cm pan - 7-9 person
20 cm pan - 10-12 person
22 cm pan - 12-15 person
24 cm pan - 15-18 person
26 cm pan - 18-20 person

I found this info from internet but not sure if it is true. And I need much more info then this. Can anybody please help?

P.S. Would you please give me the measures with centimeters? We do not use inch measurement in my country and I'm confused with inch measurements icon_redface.gif

5 replies
Nacnacweazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nacnacweazel Posted 4 May 2010 , 9:53am
post #2 of 6

Well, it would all depend on what size servings you go by. Here, in the U.S., there are wedding servings and celebration servings. Typically, the wedding serving size is what's considered "standard." The wedding serving size is (sorry it's in inches) 1in X 2in X 4in. There are 2.5cm per inch...so, I guessthe serving size would be 2.5cm X 5cm X 10cm. The 4in (or 10cm) is the height of the cake. I would, normally, do the math for you on all the pan sizes...but it's almost 3:00am here and I just wouldn't trust myself. I hope this helps you in any way. icon_smile.gif

Shepsit Posted 4 May 2010 , 10:16am
post #3 of 6

Thank you so much Nacnacweazel icon_smile.gif

CookieMakinMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMakinMomma Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:07am
post #4 of 6

Hey girrrl! icon_biggrin.gif

Most Americans go by the wilton serving guides.
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm
You will have to convert to metric. icon_sad.gif Like Nacnacweazel said, the official serving size is the wilton "wedding" serving size (1x2x4inch) so you will have to adjust your approximate serving size based on what size serving your customers expect.

Here is the wilton cutting guide page. This shows how to get the stated serving sizes out of odd shaped pans.
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/cake-cutting-guides/

Hope this helps! My hubby just walked in the door or I'd try to find more info for you. Gotta go... let me know if you have any more questions! I haven't made many cakes myself, mostly cupcakes, but we can learn together. thumbs_up.gif

Shepsit Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 6

Hey my angelllll icon_biggrin.gif
Thank you again and again for your help.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 7 May 2010 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 6

1 inch = 2.54 cm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%