Steampunk Cake Contetst - Love It!!

Decorating By lomfise Updated 8 May 2010 , 6:00am by tesso

lomfise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomfise Posted 4 May 2010 , 6:07am
post #1 of 8

There are two reasons why I think the current cake contest is one of the best there's been in the time I've known about CC:

First, the theme is so unusual that it really gets the mind working on how to do such a cake, you can't just take any old picture of a cake and enter (at least, I don't think many people have made Steampunk cakes before icon_lol.gif )

The second reason is the price. I think it's great that there are contests on CC but the usual price of 25$ isn't worth much if you live outside the US, the shipping charges alone would be more than that if I ordered from GSA. I only participate in contests where the price is something special, for instance a book or now this one, 200$ is something worth figthing for icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I hope you will continue to challenge us with exciting contest themes in the future, and perhaps consider other prices than a gift certificate to GSA. A signed book or a special cake decorating tool for instance. birthday.gifjudge.gif

7 replies
nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 8

ok, I admit I don't really get the whole steampunk thing but

wow icon_eek.gif there are some amazing cakes there.

Go look and vote thumbs_up.gif

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 6 May 2010 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 8

I completely agree!! As someone very new to serious cake decorating, this was just the thing to really get me fired up and excited to create something. Hopefully next time there is a theme that really resonates with me, I'll actually have the skills to execute all the ideas floating around in my head! icon_biggrin.gif

To me a challenge should 'challenge' you to put forth some effort and do something you might not have done before or go bigger than you are used to. I get tired of seeing people treat a challenge (be it here or on jewelry groups I belong to) as just an excuse to slap up a pic of something they do all the time and it just happens to vaguely fit the current theme.

It was wonderful to see some of the imaginative entries in this challenge! Of course there are always people who treat any challenge as an opportunity to make something new and exciting, those are the entries I get most excited about, even it they aren't always done perfectly. You can tell that person put their heart into creating something they truly cared about!

I too would love to see more unusual challenges, even if they aren't exactly my style. WTG CC!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 May 2010 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannie

ok, I admit I don't really get the whole steampunk thing

Unfortunately, neither did a few of the contestants.

lomfise Posted 7 May 2010 , 11:45am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Quote:

But that's where we the voters come in. If I don't think a cake fits the theme of the contest I give it zero stars even if it's very beautifully made.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomfise

Quote:

Quote:

But that's where we the voters come in. If I don't think a cake fits the theme of the contest I give it zero stars even if it's very beautifully made.

Yes, but idealy you're voting on technical skills and execution. There's a couple cakes in there where I really would love to ask the submitter why they submitted the cake because they have nothing even remotely to do with the theme.

lomfise Posted 8 May 2010 , 5:26am
post #7 of 8
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomfise

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, but idealy you're voting on technical skills and execution. There's a couple cakes in there where I really would love to ask the submitter why they submitted the cake because they have nothing even remotely to do with the theme.

I've thought the same (Where is the emoticon that shakes it's head and says tsk tsk tsk?)
But the administrators watch the entries too, and remove cakes that are too far off the theme. They removed a cake a few days after the competition started because it had nothing to do with Steampunk, but if an entry is just a little close I guess they have to leave it there.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 8 May 2010 , 6:00am
post #8 of 8

DH was just so happy to have a name for his fascination. yup he is a steampunk dude, (not the clothes just the gadgets). he designed a cake for ME to make. Like I have time right now. I told him to have at it. that you guys would love to see a cake that he made. he didnt go for that idea, too bad to. it was a pretty good design.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%