Cracking Fondant

Decorating By marinemom2142 Updated 4 May 2010 , 7:28am by sweettreat101

marinemom2142 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marinemom2142 Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:15am
post #1 of 3

I do not know what I am doing wrong I have tried every suggestion that I can find and my fondant still cracks........ I think i'm going to have to give up icon_sad.gif . any suggestions?
Thank you in advance

2 replies
deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 4 May 2010 , 3:32am
post #2 of 3

Most of the time when your fondant is cracking, it's too dry. Don't use so much cornstartch. Are you makeing MMF? Try adding some crisco, rub a tiny bit into where it is cracking. Also, weather may cause this. I had a terrible time on Friday because of the storms. We closed up and turned the airconditioner on, and it helped. I got my fondant on the cake, but when I went to put decorations on, I had a few cracks. I covered what I could with decorations, then rubbed tiny amounts of crisco in. I hope this helps.

If you are making MMF, be sure that your powdered sugar is not beet sugar, but cane sugar instead. Beet sugarr will fall apart and there is nothing you can do about that.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 4 May 2010 , 7:28am
post #3 of 3

Try Fondarific brand fondant. If you havn't tried it order the sample pack for 6.00 includes shipping. This stuff if yummy. I have to make a wedding cake and the bottom layer needs to resemble a tree trunk so I make a silicone mold using a piece of tree bark and the chocolate Fondarific. This stuff does not dry out. It has been sitting out on my kitchen table for two days and it's still flexable. No more cracks and no more elephant skin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%