Movie Reel

Decorating By TPACakeGirl Updated 3 May 2010 , 5:24pm by Sassy74

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 3 May 2010 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 3

How do I make a movie reel? I figure the "film" part is cake, but how do I make the grey/silver tops of the reels which have the holes in them?

2 replies
TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 3 May 2010 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 3

Oh, and a director's board too....

Thanks.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 3 May 2010 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 3

I just recently made a cake for a movie lover. For the movie reel, I cut two circles from gray gumpaste (just used the open end of a Wilton's gumpaste can for the cutter...it was the size I needed), and just made a circle of gumpaste about 3/4" high for the middle part of the reel to join the two circles to. Hope that makes sense! I used the end of a #5 tip to cut the large circles around the outer edges, and a tip #2 to cut the tiny holes in the middle of the reel. I let those pieces dry over night and just assembled them with white chocolate.

It sounds like you're doing a much larger reel (mine were decorations ON TOP of a cake), but I think the process would be the same. Color your gumpaste, and roll it out a little thick (it has to be able to support it's own weight and stand up to a little handling). Maybe use a cake circle in the diameter you need to cut the circles out using a pastry wheel or cutter. For the holes on the outer edge, maybe use the coupler end of a piping tip to get proportional holes. I'd let them dry for a couple of days, maybe flipping them after a day or so. You'll need for them to be REALLY firm.

HTH and good luch!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%