Ok, So I'm A Little Bit Ornery... ;)

Decorating By TJCanadian Updated 6 May 2010 , 1:51am by tesso

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 3 May 2010 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 12

A little girl (turning 6) who goes to school with my son had me make her birthday cake this weekend and she's been very very excited about it. Her older brother even more so. They are getting a bulldog puppy for her birthday and she had her party at a princess dress up place so wanted the 2 incorporated. I asked for pictures of the puppy and had been planning this for several weeks.

Every day for the past 2 weeks her brother has stopped me when I picked up my son and asked how the cake was coming, was I working on it yet. icon_smile.gif They're so cute. I patiently explained several times that I couldn't start it yet but I was thinking and planning for it.

Friday when I picked up my son, she came running over to see me. (She's a little ornery too) and shook her finger at me and said 'you better get started on my cake, the party is tomorrow'.

(grin)...I didn't miss a beat and replied 'don't worry honey, I've been working on it, its almost done...you should see the orange dragon, he's really ferocious, he has blue stripes and everything. Its supposed to have Happy Birthday George on it too right?'

Hahahahah (I held onto my straight face)...her face was aghast. So I said 'what?? is that not right??? OH NO!! Oh dear, I'd better hurry home, I guess I have to start over, what did you want again?' Bwahahahaha

Ohhh, but I couldn't let it end there.... (evil grin) I did finish the cake friday night, the tiara dried over night (its the bulldog in my pictures) I finished it up and put it away for safety. I had a leftover cake layer and some icing so I put the kids to it and gave them spatulas. I'm so proud of them, they've been watching me. at 4 and 6 they iced the cake pretty well, getting icing all around the sides too and smoothed it on the top. I rolled out some pink and green fondant and they cut out all the shapes and covered their little tier with them and rolled the remainder of the fondant into balls to make a border for the bottom. We stuck a little plastic dalmation into the top of the cake and when the little girl showed up to get her cake, we proudly showed her this lovely creation for her birthday... (snicker)

Her mom was in on it so she gushed about how wonderful it was and got ready to pick it up and head out but I stopped her and said to the little girl. 'I do have another cake sitting around here somewhere but you have to pick right now if you want the one you have, or the one you haven't seen yet...' She thought for a moment, looked at the cake really hard and looked rather shy about it but asked for the other one. icon_smile.gif It was worth it because she loved the cake but I'm pretty sure, she's going to get me back someday icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 12

so funny!!!! The cake looks awesome! At least the little girl didn't have an absolute FIT........sounds like she was a grateful little girl that didn't want to hurt your feelings about the pink and green cake! lol

I was half hoping to see the little bulldog with a tutu and crown ON it........so cute the way you have it sitting though!! I can't imagine the hours you put into that dog....it's absolutely flawless, down to the little wrinkles in it's skin!!

Great job........I'd look out for that little girl..................she's gonna GET YOU!! lol

TJCanadian Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:07pm
post #3 of 12

Thats part of what made it so funny, you could see her little face struggling to not be disappointed about the pink and green cake.

The crown was indeed supposed to be on the bulldog...however structural stability prevented it. I made that tiara 3 times, gumpaste, formed it against a canister, then spritzed it with water to glue it all together. It just wasn't strong enough so it got to sit on his feet. Possibly needed a couple more days to dry.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 12

I have NEVER been able to get a gumpaste crown to turn out!! I always broke them when it was time to remove them (even made one that dried for 2 weeks once) and it broke too!!!

I stick to making them out of candy melts lol quick to set up and no thought process ahead of time....I make them the same day I decorate the cake!

love that dog!!

TJCanadian Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 12

I've sucessfully gotten a royal icing one done. I was wondering if it was because I was using the extruder and pressing it through that made it weaker than just hand rolling the 'snakes' to make it. The hand pressing I would think might just compress the gumpaste more and make it stronger. Don't know, just pondering.

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 3 May 2010 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 12

TJ, What a funny story. lol Sounds like something I would do to a kid. hahahaha It turned out amazing. that dog's too cute.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:50pm
post #7 of 12

That is hilarious! She's a good girl for not throwing a fit too.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 4 May 2010 , 7:23pm
post #8 of 12

LOL you so better keep an eye on this little girl cause she is sure to get you back! LOL
That dog you made was excellent.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 4 May 2010 , 7:25pm
post #9 of 12

LOL you so better keep an eye on this little girl cause she is sure to get you back! LOL
That dog you made was excellent.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 4 May 2010 , 8:27pm
post #10 of 12

You're lucky the little thing didn't burst into tears when you handed her the first cake!!! What a precious, precious bulldog cake she ended up with, though!

TJCanadian Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:29am
post #11 of 12

She is indeed a little ornery herself and I'm sure she'll get me back.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:51am
post #12 of 12

too cute. In my experience kids love when adults actually play with them, and realize they have a sense of humor too. I dont think she will get you back..persay.. but she will have a wonderful memory.

I love the cake !!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%