How Would I Get Ribbon Like This To Stay?

Decorating By madras650 Updated 5 May 2010 , 5:09am by Bunsen

madras650 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madras650 Posted 3 May 2010 , 12:29pm
post #1 of 12

The ribbon looks like real ribbon. What do you think? Comment please on how to keep the ribbon attached to the cake, especially on bottom tier how it swoops.

Thanks
LL

11 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 3 May 2010 , 12:46pm
post #2 of 12

It does look like real ribbon. I attach real ribbon to fontant cake by soaking the ribbon in water and then running it through my fingers to squeeze out as much water as possible. The damp ribbon sticks to it like glue, but be warned you only get one chance to place that otherwise it will mark the fondant.

If that was my cake I would mark the palcing on the ribbon on the cake 1st with pin pricks before palcing the ribbon.

BTW you could do that same look with fondant ribbon, also using water as a glue

HTH!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 12

there are several cakes on CC with ribbon like that.........I'd find some of them and start pm'ing the makers!!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 12

Cake Central has a cake in their magazine similar to this. At least I think so. I was looking through that magazine and a wedding magazine last night (son is getting married!).

While I was looking at all the beautiful wedding cakes in CC mag, I had the thought that it would have been helpful if they gave a little blurb on how the cakes were made and what was the cake flavor and filling inside. After all isn't CC mag supposed to be a magazine for cake decorators? If they did that with this cake then that magazine would become a truly great resource magazine.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 12

I've done a similiar cake before. Use fondant and do exactly what a previous poster suggested...wetting the ribbon and getting as much water off as possible. Place careful. When I've wrapped mine, I've used stick pins to hold the ribbon in place (poke right through the ribbon...use a tiny stick pin so the hole isn't noticeable in the ribbon when it is removed.) Leave the stick pins in place until the ribbon dries itself to the fondant. When pushing stick pins in...use the kind with bright colored balls on the ends and DON'T push in very far.

One more thing I HIGHLY recommend if using the stick pins (and maybe this is because I'm OCD) I always write down how many stick pins I use and then make sure I pull that exact number out. Have fun!

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 12

It's always good to have a strong magnet nearby when using pins.

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:14pm
post #7 of 12

Hi-I have done ribbon cakes where I have used tape to stick the ribbon to the underside of the board, pull it up over the cake and attach it to the board again on the other side. Worked well. In places where I was scared the ribbon might slide off, I used a dab of icing in an obscure place (such as where the ribbons crisscrossed.) Worked for me.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:54pm
post #8 of 12

Awesome tips hsmomma and cakes 47! I would never have thought to do that!!!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 4 May 2010 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 12

This is the cake that was in the most recent Cake Central magazine:   http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1561254.html

It looks like she loosely placed the ribbon, but tacked it somewhere.

Good luck!!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 4 May 2010 , 9:48pm
post #10 of 12

VERY small amounts of royal, like out of a 00 tip, would probably work, depending on the ribbon. Some ribbons are too sheer or are of a type that look stained from the royal.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:26am
post #11 of 12

Could it be Sugarveil? I know you can make realistic ribbons with SV.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:09am
post #12 of 12

I have a cake with similar ribbon in my photos - I used real ribbon and secured with a glass head pin at the back. I found it really tricky to get the ribbon in the right place so be wary of using the wet ribbon as it will mark the fondant if you have to move it.

I put a small heart cut out of fondant to mark where the pins are so they didn't get lost - you can see this in the pic as the restaurant displayed the cake the wrong way round !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%