Red Velvet: Am I Alone?

Baking By cakeladyatLA Updated 6 May 2010 , 2:02am by mjnj

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 3 May 2010 , 9:01am
post #1 of 18

Am I the only one that thinks is too oily?
Or maybe I don't have the right recipe?
I've used Cakeman Raven's but the cake feels too oily.

Tomorrow I will bake Sarah's red velvet recipe it calls for buttter instead.

Wish me luck

Patty*

17 replies
donnella2045 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnella2045 Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:13am
post #2 of 18

I agree. I recently made Bobby Flay's recipe. It's made with both butter and oil. It had the perfect balance! Everyone loved it. It had a nice crumb without being too dense. I didn't measure out the flour, I weighed it and sifted it 2X...

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:38am
post #3 of 18

I make cake man ravens but cut the oil by 1/3, tastes great that way.

iwantcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iwantcookies Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:47am
post #4 of 18

The first red velvet recipe i tried was in the confetti cakes cookbook...SO OILY! I then tried the red velvet recipe posted on here by chef_stef and it was absolutely perfect. Not oily at all.
Heres the link if you want to give it a go.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7366/chef-stefs-southern-red-velvet-cake

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:02am
post #5 of 18

Yaknow, I offer 31 cake flavors, but not red velvet. I think it is absolutely disgusting.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:14am
post #6 of 18

I make a red velvet cake (use the DH mix) and I tell people it is really just a red chocolate cake. I personally don't like it, but people love the color!

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:14am
post #7 of 18

the red velvet recipe I use..... it's with vegetable oil.... but it tastes incredibly good... not oily at all... it might just be that u don't favor red velvet.... but to tell you the truth... that's one of my best sellers.... and with the creamcheese icing... it's just the right balance....

PS... I have never used cman Raven's.... just the one I got (it's from a good friend that owns a cake shop in San Fransisco.... and she is famous for her red velvet also...

Good Luck

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:39am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Yaknow, I offer 31 cake flavors, but not red velvet. I think it is absolutely disgusting.

I would love to not offer red velvet, and actually it is not a flavor I list or suggest EVER but alas I have been unsuccessful in talking a couple of brides out of it. I had one bride who was ordering a rainbow trout in a basket grooms cake and wanted red velvet. I said "Sweetheart when you cut into that cake it is going to look like its bleeding" she went with yellow butter cake icon_smile.gif

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:46am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantcookies

The first red velvet recipe i tried was in the confetti cakes cookbook...SO OILY! I then tried the red velvet recipe posted on here by chef_stef and it was absolutely perfect. Not oily at all.

Does anyone know if this recipe works well for cupcakes?

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantcookies

Ok, so I've just printed off that recipe and compared it to Cake Man Raven's and the 2 recipes are identical, which coincidentally are both identical to Paula Deen's Red Velvet Cupcakes recipe, so anyone who says one is better than the other is confused because they are ALL the SAME!!!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:44pm
post #11 of 18

Sarah's is the recipe I use and it taste great. Very moist and not oily.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:51am
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Quote:

"Sweetheart when you cut into that cake it is going to look like its bleeding"

LOL! The Armadillo groom's cake from Steel Magnolias comes to mind!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:04am
post #13 of 18

I love red velvet. It's the buttermilk, I'm sure. But I don't put all the red food coloring in. THAT is yucky!!!! I tell people that mine only has a TINT of red, not the "Steel Magnolia" red! never had a complaint!

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:12am
post #14 of 18

I use 1/2 the red color it calls for - and I swap out 1/4 cup of oil with buttermilk - and I love it - and so does everyone who asks me for it. It is oily, though. If you make cupcakes out of it - the liners will be oily.

Paige_Pittman86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paige_Pittman86 Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:13am
post #15 of 18

I have the GREATEST red velvet recipe in the world well in my world lol its my grandmothers and i will not eat red velvet any other way and most people do their icing different when doing the red velvet but her icing makes it 100% perfect and it even taste better after it sits for a day. I have tried red velvet that was not my grandmothers and i really didnt like it cause its wayy to sweet maybe. but my grandmothers with out a doubt is the best. If anybody wants her recipe ill be glad to give it but ill wait to see if anybody ask for it before i go and type it up.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:43am
post #16 of 18

Hi paige_pittman86. I do love red velvet cake and i make them. But , if you would post your grandma's recipe, I would love to try hers too. I would also like her frosting recipe. I think the icing made with flour and milk,etc. taste great with red velvet. I have also used cream cheese with it . Thank you, if you have the time to post it.

kake4me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4me2 Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:02am
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Quote:
Quote:

"Sweetheart when you cut into that cake it is going to look like its bleeding"

LOL! The Armadillo groom's cake from Steel Magnolias comes to mind!

Love that cake and movie, but don't like red velvet cake myself....

mjnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjnj Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:02am
post #18 of 18

I use a recipe from America's Test Kitchen that uses butter--not oil. It is good, but I do prefer a chocolate cake that actually tastes like chocolate. A lot of people like it though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%