Farmers Market Cupcakes

Baking By fsinger84 Updated 20 May 2013 , 2:02pm by wardhoop

fsinger84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fsinger84 Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:37am
post #1 of 36

Hello all.

I am needing some advice for farmers market cupcakes.

First of all what do you do to keep the icing from melting? Do you use coolers ect? I am planning on getting the boxes from brp and I was thinking that ice packs would sweat and ruin the boxes. I need something sturdy for the cupcakes to be in because all cupcakes must be prepackaged and my house is all they way across town, many chances for the cuppies to fall over!

How many flavors do you have available. I was thinking 4-6 flavors would be a good range. I plan on having at least one chocolate based flavor a week and one vegan/gluten free one at least. I have about 25 flavors/kinds available by special order for pick up and I thought 4-6 would be a manageable number.

Do you sell individual cupcakes or cupcakes by a certain # (half doz, doz ect). I am thinking about doing a bunch of individual cupcakes, minis by the dozen and cupcake truffles by the dozen.

35 replies
FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 4 May 2010 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 36

The weather is still cool enough, I have not used my ice packs yet. But what I do is put my 6-pks in rubbermaid totes with techni-ice.

I got my 6-pk containers from webrestaurant.com, they are perfect. I sell variety packs (they are a huge hit, I have sold out each time). I also sell the cupcakes individually. I do mini cups for sampling or I will cut up a regular size in to quarters.

I have found if you offer the singles, only do 4-5 flavors, this way they have to buy the 6-pk to get all 6 flavors you brought that day.

Make sure your display is BEAUTIFUL. I have recieved so many compliments on my display, I truely believe this is what helps me sell so much.

Good luck on your booth, we would love to see pics!
LL

Sillyred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sillyred Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:37am
post #3 of 36

I would love to know how many of each flavor do you make for the farmers market? I'm selling for the first time at a market and figured I would make four different flavors....but not sure how much. Do you find people are wanting to simply buy one cupcake more often than buying a variety pack? Any advice you can give is so appreciated!
P.S. FH Cakes---your display is beautiful!

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:39am
post #4 of 36

Thank you icon_biggrin.gif

Last Saturday I brought (10) 6-pks with 6 flavors, (20) singles of 4 flavors. I also had (35) minis for samples, (10) Gluten-Free and (10) Dairy-Free.

I had a Cake the first weekend, but it didn't sell. This Saturday I wil take a dummy (I just got my CK order as we speak, so I need to get to work!)

Good Luck!!!

adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 36

I am just starting to sell my cupcakes and cupcake bites at the Farmer's Market here in Indiana. I am planning on having the "standard" flavors of chocolate and vanilla each week and then a "specialty" flavor that will change each week. FH, I LOVE the way you set up your booth!!!! I actually had in my head something similar for my booth. I'll try and post a picture after this coming Saturday. Good luck to you both this season!!!

adamsmom Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 36

I just did my 1st FM this past Saturday and it was about 40deg out with 30mph winds! Thank goodness for my mom! She stuck it out with me for the whole 4 hours. We maybe had about 15 customers come out to the market total, but I did sell some cupcakes and bites. I ended up taking 7- 6ct cupcakes, 6-2ct cupcakes, 6-1ct cupcakes and 8-6ct cupcake bites. I also had samples for customers to try and I did get a lot of compliments from them. I will try to post a picture next week, since my stand was not quite up to par this past weekend due to the weather. FH - BTW, your cake stand is beautiful!!!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 May 2010 , 8:41pm
post #7 of 36

Adamsmom - I'm glad that you were able to sell some of your goodies! Hopefully, you'll be able to sell lots more when the weather is warm (like it's supposed o be in May).

Are you going to take the same amount of cupcakes this time? Or cut down on your baking?

Good luck! Keep us posted!

adamsmom Posted 11 May 2010 , 8:59pm
post #8 of 36

cylstrial - I will most likely take about the same amount IF the weather is going to be nice out. If not, then I will definitely cut back. Unfortunately the FM is hard to predict what you will need to make ahead of time, but I think after I get a season under my belt, then I can be more prepared for next season.

cylstrial Posted 11 May 2010 , 9:47pm
post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsmom

cylstrial - I will most likely take about the same amount IF the weather is going to be nice out. If not, then I will definitely cut back. Unfortunately the FM is hard to predict what you will need to make ahead of time, but I think after I get a season under my belt, then I can be more prepared for next season.

Definitely! Well keep us posted. My Farmer's market starts next weekend - so I'm getting excited! icon_smile.gif

adamsmom Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:13pm
post #10 of 36

Hope everyone had a great Farmer's Market weekend! I am happy to announce that I SOLD OUT this weekend!!!!!! I took ~60 cupcakes and ~60 cupcake bites. I had a great response to my flavors and my presentation. I even was asked to give a quote for a wedding in July!!! So very excited about my outcome icon_surprised.gif) I'll try to upload a picture of my booth tonight once I get home, but I do have an order of 5 dozen bites due tomorrow, so it might not be until Tuesday night. Anywhoo, let me know how you all did, I'd love to know icon_surprised.gif)

cylstrial Posted 17 May 2010 , 9:21pm
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsmom

Hope everyone had a great Farmer's Market weekend! I am happy to announce that I SOLD OUT this weekend!!!!!! I took ~60 cupcakes and ~60 cupcake bites. I had a great response to my flavors and my presentation. I even was asked to give a quote for a wedding in July!!! So very excited about my outcome icon_surprised.gif) I'll try to upload a picture of my booth tonight once I get home, but I do have an order of 5 dozen bites due tomorrow, so it might not be until Tuesday night. Anywhoo, let me know how you all did, I'd love to know icon_surprised.gif)

That is AWESOME!! Way to go!!

fsinger84 Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:53am
post #12 of 36

Hello all!

I have only been to the farmers market once so far this season. I took 16doz cupcakes and I sold 15! That day was nice and cool it was only 68 out but this weekend it is supposed to get 85!

So now I am looking for a buttercream recipe that will be ok in heat. Im talking 85-90 degrees possibly.

I currently use Americas Test Kitchen recipe but I am afraid it will melt in the higher temp. Is it possible to just add some meringue powder to ensure it wont melt? Or will that make the icing crusty/hard?

Thanks!

ETA: I want to keep it as natural as possible. I have to list every ingredient and every ingredient within an ingredient!

adamsmom Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:17pm
post #13 of 36

Ok, so I am finally getting a picture up from my Farmer's Market. I hope all is going well and let me know what you think (good and bad) and I'd love any suggestions.
LL

cylstrial Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:51pm
post #14 of 36

It looks good to me! The weather was warmer this weekend! Hope that helped a lot!

It's so nice that you can park your car behind your stand. We have to park ours where everyone else parks. It's so dumb! So I hav to unload, move the car. Then pull it back up and then load it up. And I run my stand alone with my 2 1/2 year old. And it's about 6 feet from a main road where there are 4 lanes of traffic going about 40 mph.

Sorry. I'm not sure how that turned into a rant. LOL.

fsinger84 Posted 26 May 2010 , 11:44pm
post #15 of 36

Here are a few photos from our farmers market so far this year. I am thinking of removing the cupcake decor because people are asking if the cupcakes are real lol. Apparently they look to good to be real?
LL
LL
LL

cylstrial Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:41am
post #16 of 36

Whoa Fsinger! Your table looks super nice with all of the cupcake stands and everything else.

Those people think that the fake cupcakes are real cupcakes? People are so dumb!
While they are beyond cute (and I totally think you should keep them on the table), how could they mistake that for a real cupcake, especially when there are real ones on the table. Silly geese!

As for the frosting in your previous post, have you tried IndyDebi's buttercream? Her frosting stands up REALLY well in the heat. The recipe calls for Dream Whip and for whatever reason, it really stabilizes the frosting. If you can't find it, I'd be happy to post a link to the recipe.

You could put MP in the frosting. It should help it be more stable, but it's definitely going to crust. The more you put in, the more it's going to crust.

fsinger84 Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:55am
post #17 of 36

Thanks, I have TONS of cupcake items so i figured it would be cute to put some out there on the table. All our cupcakes have to be pre boxed so I thought the stands would be a good way for people to see the cupcakes before they buy them. I got them all at Hobby Lobby when they were %50 off People think the real cupcakes are fake lol. I don't get it either. I started to use indidebi's bc and it worked well last weekend.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:19am
post #18 of 36

your stand looks great! keep the cupcake deco, i think it really draws people in! too cool, i'm so jealous! best of luck!

cylstrial Posted 29 May 2010 , 8:48pm
post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsinger84

Thanks, I have TONS of cupcake items so i figured it would be cute to put some out there on the table. All our cupcakes have to be pre boxed so I thought the stands would be a good way for people to see the cupcakes before they buy them. I got them all at Hobby Lobby when they were %50 off People think the real cupcakes are fake lol. I don't get it either. I started to use indidebi's bc and it worked well last weekend.

Glad that her recipe is working! It really is great in the heat!

Thanks for letting me know about the stands. I might have to get another one. Mine is in a storage unit in a box somewhere and we are moving next month - so there's no point for me to go and dig it out. icon_cry.gif Yeah.... thumbsdown.gif

ambercscott87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambercscott87 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:18am
post #20 of 36

do you need a license when selling at the farmer's market?

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:21am
post #21 of 36

My market requires a license, proof of food certification, and proof that you're baking in a commercial kitchen.Products have to be pre-packaged. I'm sure all of them have their own requirements. Mine is actually an arts market in a historical area so they're very picky.

cylstrial Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 11:20pm
post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambercscott87

do you need a license when selling at the farmer's market?

It just depends on the laws of your state. My state lets me bake out of my kitchen - but only for farmer's markets.

Just call the health dept and ask. icon_smile.gif

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 7:24am
post #23 of 36

fsinger, your table looks great, I love those cake stands! Can I ask how you got that huge smooth swirl on top of your cupcake? Is it just an open coupler with no notch, or an actual tip? So glad your business is doing well!

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 9:50am
post #24 of 36

adamsmom, your stand looks great, i think it could be improved with longer table cloths though? and maybe on both tables?

this sounds like a great idea though. i never thought about doing anything like this... well i did.. but then i didnt think anyone would actually buy anything.. sounds like they do though!!!

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 10:18am
post #25 of 36

love , love everyone's FM !!
I wish we had one here, too small of a town and not enough people to really get enough product to make a great success.
All I want for breakfast now is cupcakes!! lol
icon_smile.gif Jodi

buttercreamqueenbee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercreamqueenbee Posted 8 May 2012 , 4:03am
post #26 of 36

How are you keeping your icing from melting? I just signed up for our Farmers Market and am concerned about the heat.

Annie70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie70 Posted 8 May 2012 , 2:41pm
post #27 of 36

adamsmom do you have a picture of your cake bites?? Also when you guys sell singles what is the best way to package them?? I am trying to get the cheapest packaging as possible.

adamsmom Posted 8 May 2012 , 3:07pm
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie70

adamsmom do you have a picture of your cake bites?? Also when you guys sell singles what is the best way to package them?? I am trying to get the cheapest packaging as possible.

Annie70 - I use the single count boxes from Big River Packaging, they are some of the cheapest I could find. Their website is www.brpboxshop.com. Below is a picture of my cupcake bites... icon_biggrin.gif

-adamsmom
LL

buttercreamqueenbee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercreamqueenbee Posted 8 May 2012 , 3:11pm
post #29 of 36

What is in your bites? Are they cake balls?
Are you buying your choco shells?
A very long time ago I made them with a mold, but so time consuming.
Thanks for all your posts... you are a help to many!

Annie70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie70 Posted 8 May 2012 , 3:26pm
post #30 of 36

They look awesome!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%