How Do I Keep My Cupcakes From Melting At The Farmers Market

Baking By brittalicious Updated 6 May 2010 , 8:40pm by brittalicious

brittalicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brittalicious Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:55am
post #1 of 20

hi i went and sold my cupcakes at the local farmers market on saturday. It went so well lots of networkingicon_biggrin.gif great for getting orders. but i have a problem , how do i keep them from melting? i only had 1 pack melt, ti wasnt even hot out:S but when the sun got to them it started. maybe someohow make fake ones and keep them in a cooler? and what about sugar decorations or fondant. im wanting to make them all pretty but i know when i cover my fondant or sugar candy with th cupcake containers it starts to sweat. i need feed back from anyoneicon_biggrin.gif thank u guys so much![/img]
LL

19 replies
tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:24am
post #2 of 20

The cupcake booth at our market has the "naked" (i.e. no frosting) cupcakes in drawers in tall bins, then pulls them out individually and frosts them ....what's the term.....per order? ya know...after they're ordered..

anyway that might be an idea if you were willing to cut out some of the decor, you could keep the frosting in a cooler

And not that you asked, but might I suggest you forgo all the packaging?? That seems like an expensive waste...If I bought a cupcake I wouldn't need a clamshell for it, but providing it just in case would be great! Just a thought!

brittalicious Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:35am
post #3 of 20

thanks for the replyicon_biggrin.gif the packaging is mandatory where i live. so have to have them packaged like that. and its not very expensiveicon_biggrin.gif

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:44am
post #4 of 20

ahhh icon_smile.gif got it!

I also like ur idea of putting dummy cakes out and keeping the real ones in a cooler...just don't keep it too cold in there..I wouldn't want to eat a cold cupcake..maybe keep the ice away from the bottom ??

brittalicious Posted 5 May 2010 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 20

Any other suggestions out there?icon_smile.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 5 May 2010 , 10:33pm
post #6 of 20

can you have "display" ones ... like the dummy idea ... but real cake that's iced with Royal Icing instead? RI won't get melty, right? and the sell-able cakes in a cooler?

brittalicious Posted 5 May 2010 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 20

Metria that's what I was wondering if the royal icing would melt cause the dummy idea would save me

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:00am
post #8 of 20

Do you have an awning for your spot? That would keep most of the direct sun off them. I use a buttercream that has meringue powder and cornstarch in it and I didn't have this problem at the farmers market last year.

brittalicious Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:10am
post #9 of 20

Cheatize yes I doicon_smile.gif except I'm gonna be having a friend join me with another table so an going to figure how I can still cover my table. Do u make the simple butter cream and add the powder? Maybe I should do that?how hot did it get at the markets for u? Thanks so much for all the help everyone

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:19am
post #10 of 20

What if you placed frozen gel packs in a layer in the base of a chafing dish or sheet pan, then place the top of the chafing/catering container or another sheet pan on top of the frozen packs to hold the cupcakes? Isn't that how they keep the cold salad items or cocktail shrimp chilled during a food buffet? It works in my mind, anyway! icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:31am
post #11 of 20

The recipe I used is here:
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=92577

It was mid-80's and sunny from what I remember. If you have an awning, is there a tree nearby where you can set up? The tree would provide even more shade and as long as you use the awning you won't have to worry about tree goop getting on your stuff.

Won't gel packs add moisture to the situation?

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:44am
post #12 of 20

"Won't gel packs add moisture to the situation?"

No, the gel packs are just frozen, then they thaw -no water. I use them to ship chocolate items I sell. And, the long explanation I gave probably didn't portray what I was picturing in my mind.
Picture a double boiler, but instead of boiling water in the bottom vessel, it would be frozen gel packs getting no where near the cupcakes. They would just provide cold underneath to chill the metal that the cupcakes are sitting on. icon_smile.gif

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:43am
post #13 of 20

Does your market allow electricity? For $5 extra, mine does... I found great coolers at WalMart that plug into either your cigarette lighter or a power source. No ice needed...

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 May 2010 , 11:40am
post #14 of 20

Britt - where did you get your little clam shell boxes. I think they are great!

brittalicious Posted 6 May 2010 , 7:52pm
post #15 of 20

plug in coolers thats brilliant! and i get my containers localy on vancouever island where i liveicon_smile.gif

Kikis-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kikis-cakes Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:02pm
post #16 of 20

Britt in your bc icing if you used butter and shortening you might want to try it with just the shortening and see if that helps. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:14pm
post #17 of 20

fill your sheetcake pans full of water and freeze them! Then you can just display the cupcakes in containers right on top of the slab of ice, it will take MUCH longer to melt than ice cubes would!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:23pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

fill your sheetcake pans full of water and freeze them! Then you can just display the cupcakes in containers right on top of the slab of ice, it will take MUCH longer to melt than ice cubes would!

That's true! Great idea!

And Britt - thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I'm no where near there - so I'll just have to keep looking for some good plastic containers. Thanks though!

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:31pm
post #19 of 20

Had you thought about filling with buttercream and topping with fondant? You could do some really cute designs with the fondant that you can't do with the buttercream.

brittalicious Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:40pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikis-cakes

Britt in your bc icing if you used butter and shortening you might want to try it with just the shortening and see if that helps. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

oh ok i bin usuing just home made butter

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%