How Do I Make A Tree?

Decorating By mama_amy Updated 6 May 2010 , 1:28am by mama_amy

mama_amy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama_amy Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:10am
post #1 of 7

I am planning to make an Avatar cake for my daughters birthday and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for making a tree (she specifically would like the Tree of Souls, it looks a lot like a white weeping willow).

Has anyone made a similar tree? I would like any tips or tricks to make a tree.

I was thinking maybe using some sort of wire tree form or using RKT and covering it in modeling chocolate.

Thanks in advance.

6 replies
soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:57am
post #2 of 7

Hi!

I just bought the "Whats New Cupcake" and in there. First they trace
( trace it very thick) a tree on wax paper with melted chocolate candy. Second fill it in also.Third put it in fridge to hardened. In the book the tree is standing up. After is hardened I would put fondant leaves of different shades of green. This is one tip, I hope it helps you some! icon_smile.gif
Bye

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 3 May 2010 , 9:33am
post #3 of 7

I have seen trees made with wire to make the shape then covered in modeling choc. Good luck

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 3 May 2010 , 12:55pm
post #4 of 7

You could also make the tree from cake just stacking a couple of rounds to the disired hieght and doweling on your way up. Just cover with choclate buttercream and use a toothpick for texture of the tree bark.

IrisOlive Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IrisOlive Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 7

I would use modelling chocolate if it's to stand up. It really melts back into itself while you shape it, making it pretty well seamless. if you let each branch kind of harden up a little bit before putting on the next one, it stays put very well, and is less likely to break.

As for colour, I've seen people add a streak of brown/white to get a more textured effect, and then they twist it. perhaps later you could pipe out the hanging branches with brown royal icing!

Good luck!

CourtneyLS99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneyLS99 Posted 4 May 2010 , 5:35am
post #6 of 7

I made a tree for the Relay for Life event. If you look at my photos, you'll see it. It was made from cake dummies that I carved. I did cake dummies our group leader wanted to keep it. But originally, the tree trunk was going to be carved cake rounds.

mama_amy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama_amy Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:28am
post #7 of 7

Thank you to everyone for all of the tips. I truly appreciate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%