Can You Refrigerate Fondant Covered Cakes?

Decorating By bvwilliams Updated 23 May 2014 , 6:27am by mmancuso

bvwilliams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bvwilliams Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:59am
post #1 of 98

I have to make a cake (that consist of 3 cakes) for someone but there is no way that I can decorate all 3 cakes on the same day. How long can fondant covered cakes sit out or can they be refrigerated?

Thanks,
Brenda

97 replies
Spllchk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spllchk Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:13am
post #2 of 98

DO NOT refrigerate a fondant cake cake it will draw moisture and turn the fondant into a sloppy mess

A fondant covered cake will do just fine sitting out as long as the fillings you used do not need to be refrigerated.

Fondant actually keeps the cake fresher I think, as it acts like plastic wrap keeping air from getting to the cake underneath.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:16am
post #3 of 98

I refrigerate my fondant cakes all of the time. The only issue I have is when I refrigerate my cakes at my commercial kitchen's walk in refrigerator which is high in humidity in which case I place my cakes in a cardboard box and then all is fine. The box helps to absorb the moisture.

I make 2-3 wedding cakes a week and refrigerate every single one of them and would never consider NOT refrigerating them.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:21am
post #4 of 98

I never refrigerate any of my cakes. Some say you can refrigate fondant covered cakes and some say don't. I'm with the "don't" crowd. thumbs_up.gif

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:30am
post #5 of 98

I have refrigerated both fondant covered cakes and cakes with fondant accents and have had absolutely no problems with the fondant. You just have to decide what works for you.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:42am
post #6 of 98

I personally have not had a problem putting fondant covered & decorated cakes in the fridge. I also thought it was interesting to see Buddy on Cake Boss refridgerate his finished fondant cakes.
The only thing I noticed is one cake I had in the fridge, then out, then back in & then out seemed dry and I assumed it was from changing the temperature that many times. So now I only let it sit in the fridge once & work around that schedule. HTH

ladyonzlake Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:44am
post #7 of 98

Watch closely...the decorators on TV do refrigerate their fondant cakes.

mamawrobin Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:51am
post #8 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

Watch closely...the decorators on TV do refrigerate their fondant cakes.

Yep. But they have humidity controlled refrigerators.

ladyonzlake Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:34am
post #9 of 98

Most home refrigerators work great and have low humidity. It's the commercial refrigeration you have to be careful with and like I said earlier...if using commercial refrigeration place your cakes in a sealed cardboard box...it works miracles!

ANNABANANA12290 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANNABANANA12290 Posted 3 May 2010 , 5:03am
post #10 of 98

I have always refrigerated my fondant cakes in my home refrigerator with no special humidity control. No issues at all. If it is raining and humidity levels rise then the fridge is the best place for the cake. I watch all the cake shows...and they put finished cakes in the fridge. I love the feedback though. Very interesting.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 3 May 2010 , 6:40am
post #11 of 98

Add me to the list of refrigerators. However I have found that commercial fondants, or else Michele Foster's recipe, refrigerate better than straight up MMF. I think I've only made two fondant cakes that have not gone in the fridge.

That said, I read a posting here from someone who lived where it is EXTREMELY humid and said that refrigerating was disastrous. I live near the ocean in SoCal so it can get humid, but not really unbearably humid, so I have not experienced that problem. The worst I have ever had was the fondant retained a shine, but I've never lost a decoration nor had it melt into a mess. The advice above about using a cake box is terrific - it is porous so the air can circulate but moisture can escape.

Best way to find out what works in your geographic location is to bake a little test cake and pop it in the fridge...see what happens!

ladyonzlake Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:04pm
post #12 of 98

Dont' be surprised in warmer months when you remove your fondant cake from the refrigerator that it will "sweat" a bit. Just leave it though and it will evaporate and be perfect.

pastrychef101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrychef101 Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:12pm
post #13 of 98

I refrigerated a fondant whimsical cake this weekend, and it did great. I used Satin Ice, which refrigerates well. Other brands of fondant may not refrigerate as well. My Satin Ice wanted to crack, and refrigerating the cake prevented cracking.

cfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfly Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:21pm
post #14 of 98

I refrigerate every one of my cakes, I use MMF. Never had an issue so far! They will get moisture on them once you take them out but it disappears after it's out a while...I just make sure not to touch the cake and get finger prints in it while it's moist icon_wink.gif

Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:22pm
post #15 of 98

I ALWAYS pop my cakes in the refrigerator once they are done and most always cover in MMF. I did make the mistake once of putting in the freezer for a little and got A LOT of moisture on the outside on my cake. I did just leave it alone and it turned out fine once all of the moisture evaporated. I've never had any disasters with the fridge. Good luck!!! HTH.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:43pm
post #16 of 98

I refrigerate my fondant covered cakes all the time without any problems or condensation EXCEPT IN THE WARMER MONTHS. Then it's a definite no-no.

ThreePrinces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreePrinces Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:02pm
post #17 of 98

I always do. I use Rhonda's ultimate MMF. I have *never* had an issue. But I also live in a very dry climate (Colorado.) Perhaps that's why??

Spllchk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spllchk Posted 3 May 2010 , 5:02pm
post #18 of 98

I would suggested trying it with a small cake , before you put the whole cake in the fridge.

I live in Indiana and have had nightmare issues, with MMF, and Wilton in the fridge.

The fondant is fine until you bring it out, then it began to drip into puddles on the counter. It was terrible to watch my hard work just slide of the cake.

I thought it was common knowledge NOT to refrigerate fondant covered cakes.

But after reading the responses, I guess its just like anything else that has to do with cake decorating. Everyone has their own way, so you have to find what works for you.

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 3 May 2010 , 5:15pm
post #19 of 98

I always refrigerate all of my cakes, too, and all of them are fondant. They have to be because all of my fillings and icings are perishable. I use Satin Ice or MFF and they both work just fine. If fondants could never be refrigerated, no one would be offering fondant covered perishable cakes.

mamawrobin Posted 3 May 2010 , 6:34pm
post #20 of 98

[quote="Larkin121"]I always refrigerate all of my cakes, too, and all of them are fondant. They have to be because all of my fillings and icings are perishable. I use or MFF and they both work just fine. If fondants could never be refrigerated, no one would be offering fondant covered perishable cakes.[/quote

You're absolutely right. It's not that you can't it's that it's best if ya don't have to. I'm certainly not an expert but I do pay attention TO the experts and when people like Leah_S and Indydebi say that they DO NOT refrigerate any of their cakes I tend to do things as they suggest because I value thier opinions. I'm sure they know more than I ever will. I remember a post by Leah_s once where she said that there are too many options out there for non-perishable fillings to use those that are. It's just personal preference when you get down to it icon_biggrin.gif

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 3 May 2010 , 7:49pm
post #21 of 98

[quote="mamawrobin"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkin121

I always refrigerate all of my cakes, too, and all of them are fondant. They have to be because all of my fillings and icings are perishable. I use or MFF and they both work just fine. If fondants could never be refrigerated, no one would be offering fondant covered perishable cakes.[/quote

You're absolutely right. It's not that you can't it's that it's best if ya don't have to. I'm certainly not an expert but I do pay attention TO the experts and when people like Leah_S and Indydebi say that they DO NOT refrigerate any of their cakes I tend to do things as they suggest because I value thier opinions. I'm sure they know more than I ever will. I remember a post by Leah_s once where she said that there are too many options out there for non-perishable fillings to use those that are. It's just personal preference when you get down to it icon_biggrin.gif

Really?! There are almost no scratch fillings you can make that don't need refrigeration. Mousses, SMBC/IMBC variations, curds, fruit fillings, pastry creams.... Only thing I can think of to use that doesn't require refrigeration would be sleeved fillings, pre-made cartons of pudding that don't come refrigerated, and an american buttercream.

I'm positive that many experienced business owners and pastry chefs use many perishable fillings and fondant on top of them.

jennywenny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywenny Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:14pm
post #22 of 98

It definitely seems to depend on the climate. I did a cake this week and put it in the fridge overnight, then my friends came and picked it up and it was just perfect.

I know it would severely limit me if I wasnt able to use delicious fresh fillings like strawberries and cream but I guess there is room for all of us!! The 'planet cake' method uses ganache fillings and coverings and it seems like they dont ever refridgerate the cakes.

When I did my work experience in a large bakery, every cake was stored in the cooler, they wouldnt have lasted 5 minutes in the 95f heat of the bakery!! I'm under the impression most bakeries work like that with a walk in cooler or at least deli fridges.

I dont know if its the MMF. I tried making my own fondant and it never seemed to firm up, it was always a little sticky. Its been fine ever since I've been using the commercial ones, satinice and fondx.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:17pm
post #23 of 98

I always refrigerate all of my cakes regardless of whether they have fondant or not, the health department likes it that way. I also find that they're easier to transport if they're cold. And as far as non-perishable fillings go, no, you wouldn't HAVE to refrigerate something that was a non-perishable filling, but the fillings that are perishable tend to taste better to me, so I use those the most. And I kind of consider myself an expert, if I do say so myself. icon_biggrin.gif

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:27pm
post #24 of 98

I agree with Costumeczar and Larkin, cakes with scratch fillings and real buttercream do need to be refrigerated, fondant or not, simply to reduce the chance of spoilage.

However, if you always use jams, sleeve fillings and crisco-cream, then no, you can keep it out. icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:31pm
post #25 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisskween

I agree with Costumeczar and Larkin, cakes with scratch fillings and real buttercream do need to be refrigerated, fondant or not, simply to reduce the chance of spoilage.

However, if you always use jams, sleeve fillings and crisco-cream, then no, you can keep it out. icon_biggrin.gif

Crisco-cream...huh huh huh...Shouldn't it be crisco-creme, though? Is there any real cream in it? Gross! icon_razz.gif

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:40pm
post #26 of 98

Chilling in the fridge is cool for a fondant covered cake.
Just because one person says don't do it does not mean that you can not and should not do it, it means they don't feel the need to do it icon_cool.gif

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:48pm
post #27 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisskween

Crisco-cream...huh huh huh...Shouldn't it be crisco-creme, though? Is there any real cream in it? Gross! icon_razz.gif

My apologies Costumeczar, my mistake, Crisco-based-spackling compound.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:58pm
post #28 of 98

Have you ever noticed that even Walmart cakes, which don't have ANYTHING EVEN CLOSE to a natural ingredient in them are displayed in a refridgerated case ? Did you ever wonder why ? Could it be that from a food safety standard, the BEST practice is to refrigerate cakes with any type of frosting ?

Are you really going to use well IndyDebbie said it was okay as a defense in court when somebody gets food poisoning ?

Do what you want, but you're asking for trouble.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 May 2010 , 9:24pm
post #29 of 98

Even the little pre-made cartons of pudding need refrigeration, once they're opened.

I refrigerate my fondant-covered cakes and have no problems. I use MMF and live in a very humid climate, but as long as you run your air conditioner, the inside humidity and the outside humidity don't have much to do with each other.

For the OP, because this thread has gotten way off of the original question, you can refrigerate your cakes, or if they don't have any fillings that will spoil, you can leave them out on the counter. The fondant helps to seal in the moisture, so a fondant-covered cake that hasn't been cut into will be much moister at 3 days on the counter than a cake frosted in just buttercream (or crisco-creme for you picky word people icon_razz.gif).

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 3 May 2010 , 9:54pm
post #30 of 98

I've refrigerated fondant cakes in the past with NO side effects to the fondant itself, BUT I've gotten huge air bubbles under the fondant that almost ruin the cake. The fondant didn;t sweat or anything, is just those huge air bubbles!
So, a week ago I decided not to refrigerate once they are covered with fondant (and also switched cornstarch for powdered sugar) and now I don;t get the air bubbles anymore.

I do not use perishable fillings or frostings, in fact, my health department only lets me bake stuff that "doesn't require refrigeration- low risk goods". So it is ok not to refrigerate a cake that doesn;t have cream cheeses or other perishable items.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%