Psychology Grad Cake

Decorating By patty7276 Updated 11 May 2010 , 9:33pm by tavyheather

patty7276 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patty7276 Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:45am
post #1 of 15

does anyone have an idea for a psychology grad cake? my only thought was text books but i have already done a "book cake" for her (my daughter) on another birthday. any suggestions welcome! thank you.

14 replies
UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:03am
post #2 of 15

hmmm, maybe you could do a cake the had famous psychologists names on it...expecially if you had some nice cutters/tappits/etc. for the names. could even do different fonts/sizes...put them on the cake in a pretty, but imperfect way.

some names: freud, pavlov, rorschach, meade, maslow, adler, jung, skinner, thorndike

maybe the topper could be the greek letter for "psi" i'll attach a pic for you
LL

UpAt2am Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:05am
post #3 of 15

the pic didn't show up...i'll try again
LL

patty7276 Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:15am
post #4 of 15

how creative! thank you. never would have thought to use the greek letter--nice touch icon_smile.gif

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:02am
post #5 of 15

LOL my major was psych and I have no idea what that Greek symbol was!!! Maybe she payed more attention in school than I did, though!! icon_wink.gif

If you do decide to do books, you HAVE to include the DSM IV...it's like the bible to psychologists...

Let's see.......what else...Skinner Box, Pavlov's dog...LOL I'm at a loss and I studied this for 4 years...

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:24am
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

LOL my major was psych and I have no idea what that Greek symbol was!!! Maybe she payed more attention in school than I did, though!! icon_wink.gif

If you do decide to do books, you HAVE to include the DSM IV...it's like the bible to psychologists...

Let's see.......what else...Skinner Box, Pavlov's dog...LOL I'm at a loss and I studied this for 4 years...

I just had flashbacks of lugging that darn DSM around in grad school. My back still hurts! LOL. Anyway, why not a couch for Freud? Most psychologists don't have a client lay on a couch any more, but there are still some die hard psychoanalysts out there and you do learn a lot about Freud as a psych major. HTH.

tavyheather Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:38am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LittleBeesCookies

I just had flashbacks of lugging that darn DSM around in grad school. My back still hurts! LOL. Anyway, why not a couch for Freud? Most psychologists don't have a client lay on a couch any more, but there are still some die hard psychoanalysts out there and you do learn a lot about Freud as a psych major. HTH.

Ughh...his theories are so outdated and unpopular..yet we still had to know everything he taught...

For us psych majors it would help if she had a particular interest in psych..I/O, counseling, criminal, etc....
if we knew what her interests are we could tell u which direction to go..psych is surprisingly broad...

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:59am
post #8 of 15

I did this for my GF who graduated Dr in Psyc. These are her school's colors.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1160368

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:03am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

Quote:

Ughh...his theories are so outdated and unpopular..yet we still had to know everything he taught...

For us psych majors it would help if she had a particular interest in psych..I/O, counseling, criminal, etc....
if we knew what her interests are we could tell u which direction to go..psych is surprisingly broad...

Yep. I just thought the couch would be funny more than anything else b/c lots of people still associate psychology and counseling with Freud and his couch. I think find out what her interests are would be great for more brainstorming.

patty7276 Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:09am
post #10 of 15

never knew there were so many psych people on cc--this is great! as far as her psych interests, going to grad school in clinical psych. half research, half clinical. eventually wants to do counseling. think she's into anxiety and trauma. sounds like a fun cake doesn't it. haha

UpAt2am Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:51pm
post #11 of 15

and to take it one step further on the greek symbol topper, put a tassel coming off the top right portion of it! i think it would be cute!

and since she's going into research/clinical...maybe some test tubes and a pad of paper? on the top of the pad of paper, it could say Dr. _________ (whatever her name is)

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:35pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty7276

never knew there were so many psych people on cc--this is great! as far as her psych interests, going to grad school in clinical psych. half research, half clinical. eventually wants to do counseling. think she's into anxiety and trauma. sounds like a fun cake doesn't it. haha

Wow...that is a tough one. I have to think a little more about it! She's studying to be a psychologist not a psychiatrist, right? I'm asking because somebody suggested test tubes for the research aspect and a psychologist wouldn't do that kind of research. That suggestion is, however, a super idea for a doctor or a doctor to be! icon_smile.gif CC rocks.

tavyheather Posted 11 May 2010 , 9:19pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty7276

Wow...that is a tough one. I have to think a little more about it! She's studying to be a psychologist not a psychiatrist, right? I'm asking because somebody suggested test tubes for the research aspect and a psychologist wouldn't do that kind of research. That suggestion is, however, a super idea for a doctor or a doctor to be! icon_smile.gif CC rocks.

yeah, be careful, b/c a psychiatrist would be an MD, and a psychologist would have a PhD...and would not be called Dr.

No test tubes!!!

clinical is completely patient based. Love the couch, put it on top of a stack of journal articles and the DSM IV and you're good to go!!

UpAt2am Posted 11 May 2010 , 9:28pm
post #14 of 15

yeah, i totally went psychiatrist halfway through the brainstorming...my bad!

tavyheather Posted 11 May 2010 , 9:33pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAt2am

yeah, i totally went psychiatrist halfway through the brainstorming...my bad!

yeah, geeez... jk icon_wink.gif I was corrected by my friend who is getting her PhD in physical therapy...the rules are really changing..no more "Dr. ___", it's your name followed by your degree...soo technical now....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%