Can I Save This Cake

Decorating By pattycakes55d Updated 3 May 2010 , 1:19pm by ttehan4

pattycakes55d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes55d Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:34am
post #1 of 7

Customer canceled due to death in the family. It's a white cake w. lemon curd and crumbcoated. No fondant on yet. What do I do to save it? If put in freezer, will it dry out? How do I package it? Thanks for your help.

6 replies
ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:48am
post #2 of 7

You could wrap it in several layers of plastic wrap and freeze. I would only save it for a couple weeks that way, but thats me. I would just feed it to the family or as a nice gesture you could ice it with little decoration and take it to the customer. They would probably appreciate it during a difficult time.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:23am
post #3 of 7

Wrap in plastic, then in foil. It will be fine for a few weeks.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:37am
post #4 of 7

Freeze it first and when it's hard wrap in plastic wrap and it will keep for at least a week if not more.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:53am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttehan4

You could wrap it in several layers of plastic wrap and freeze. I would only save it for a couple weeks that way, but thats me. I would just feed it to the family or as a nice gesture you could ice it with little decoration and take it to the customer. They would probably appreciate it during a difficult time.

I like the idea of just icing it with little decoration and giving it to the family that lost their loved one.

pattycakes55d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes55d Posted 3 May 2010 , 6:23am
post #6 of 7

thanks for your input. I asked my customer right away if they'd like it and they said no as it was meant for a celebration instead. Mother's Day is next weekend, so I could give it to someone then. It's a cake for 50 servings too. I've frozen cakes before but not when it has been filled. I wondered if it would be too moist inside or the filling would taste funny.

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:19pm
post #7 of 7

I have frozen filled cakes. Never had a problem. Good Luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%