Help With Shoppng Bag Cake

Decorating By Soniabean Updated 4 May 2010 , 3:04am by ladyonzlake

Soniabean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Soniabean Posted 2 May 2010 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,
I was asked to make a shopping bag cake like the one pictured below buy Confetti Cakes. I have a question about applying the fondant. How can apply the fondant for a cake like this without it falling off? What is the best way to create the tissue paper? Does anyone have any advice?
TIA
Sonia
LL

4 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:20am
post #2 of 5

Your cake needs to be as high as the bag and the fondant will stick to the buttercream crumb coat on the cake. Not too heave a crumb coat though or it will sag..
Color and roll gumpaste very thin and dry pieces on tissues to make it look like it was crushed.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:34am
post #3 of 5

Tissue: I use fondant and mix in tylose powder. Roll it thin, I use my pasta attachment on my kitchenaid. Use a pizza cutter and cut random squares and triangles and place on scrunched up foil to dry.

Cake:

In advance I make fondant/tylose panels for the sides of my cake and allow to dry. I've heard you can make these and freeze them instead of drying them inadvance which I'll try in the future.

Make a 2 tier stacked cake so that your cake is 8" tall and whatever width you want. Attach the panels.

Here's a gift bag I made for a birthday.
LL

Soniabean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Soniabean Posted 3 May 2010 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you both for your help. icon_biggrin.gif

Jacqui, your cake is absolutely gorgeous!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 4 May 2010 , 3:04am
post #5 of 5

Thank you Soniabean! I hope we were helpful to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%