How Do I Measure Ingredients Correctly??? ...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 2 May 2010 , 2:51pm by sweetiesbykim

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 1 May 2010 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 17

Hi all!

I have read else where that depending on if your ingredients are wet or dry, you should measure them differently.

Hi-Ratio Shortening I measure with a metal measuring cup (1 cup type).

Powder Sugar I measure with a liquid measure cup which is a 4 cup measuring cup. I also measure my liquids with this as well.

Am I doing this wrong???

Thank you,

16 replies
lomfise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomfise Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 17

The most accurate way is to weigh your ingredients, including the liquid ones, that will ensure consistent results every time.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 17

They are both designed to measure the same volume.

But, measuring cups for dry ingredients are the ones that measure right to the rim, so you can take a knife and run it across the top to level your dry ingredients even with the cup.

Measuring cups for liquids are the glass or clear plastic ones that have the markings on the sides. So, you fill only a portion of the cup up to the mark you want.

The reason you don't use dry cups for liquids is because the surface tension of liquids will make a dome (or meniscus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meniscus ) form above the top edge of a cup. So you will end up with more liquid than you think you're getting. This meniscus will usually be smaller and concave (though that depends on the liquid) in a liquid cup because the liquid doesn't reach the rim...at the least it is easier to see through he mark from the side to know what you're getting.

The reason you don't measure dry ingredients in a wet cup is you cant level them off.

That said, I hate liquid measuring cups and always dry cups for my liquid ingredients. The amount your ingredient may be off is so small it's not really worth it to me to use a cup I hate.
I usually weigh all dry ingredients because that's the most accurate thing to do.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 17

Wet ingredients and dry ingredients are measured differently. If you are using a recipe that lists cups then just go ahead and use measuring cups. If the recipe measures in ounces, then measure all ingredients with a scale. Wet ingredients are measured by volume with measuring cups. 8 oz. of flour is not the same by weight as 1 cup of flour. Measure dry ingredients by weight with a scale. HTH

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 17

Yeah, I measure everything by weight. Have done it that way ever since culinary school.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 17

AND -what I love about using my scale is I don't have all those measuring cups to clean out!! Clean and precise!! icon_smile.gif

Mikel79 Posted 1 May 2010 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 17

Thank you for the input!

Regarding scales. Do you just lay the ingredients on the scale bare? Or do you lay them on or in something?

Sorry for the stupid question. Want to make sure I am thinking correctly.

Thanks,

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 1 May 2010 , 7:22pm
post #8 of 17

Put them in something first icon_smile.gif

artscallion Posted 1 May 2010 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 17

If you're using a digital scale, with the scale turned off, place a bowl on it. Then turn the scale on. The scale will come on at .00 You can then add your ingredients. The weight of the bowl will not be included.

artscallion Posted 1 May 2010 , 7:36pm
post #10 of 17

Also, If you do this using the bowl you will be mixing in, you can just keep adding to the same bowl.

example: After you add your flour to 10oz, turn the scale off, then back on again. it will reset itself to .oo, even though you have a bowl of flour on it. Add your sugar to 4 ounces. Reset the scale again. Keep going until you've added all your ingredients, all without switching bowls, or using cups.

PumpkinTart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PumpkinTart Posted 1 May 2010 , 8:49pm
post #11 of 17

Most scales have a 'tare' feature that eliminates the need to keep turning it on and off. Just place your bowl on the scale and it will register the weight. Press the tare button and it will zero out the weight of the bowl so you can add your first ingredient. Press tare again to reset the weight to zero and measure your next ingredient.

sweetiesbykim Posted 1 May 2010 , 11:12pm
post #12 of 17

...or my digital scale has a "zero" button I press in between different ingredients. I also use several recycled plastic containers with lids to pre-weigh my dry ingredients, butter, liquids, etc. the night before -then I'm ready to bake the next morning! Anything to get a little ahead of the game icon_smile.gif

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 1 May 2010 , 11:41pm
post #13 of 17

I measure by weight. Perfect every time. My husband LOVES to "help" but gets in the way most of the time. I give him a digital scale and say "100 grams sugar" "300 grams flour" etc. He measures, I mix. He very good at exact measurements LOL.

So it is easy for me to have helper, saves me time and it is always exactly the same.

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 1 May 2010 , 11:59pm
post #14 of 17

I too have turned to weighing all my ingredients and find it much easier. When you are making big batches of things it's much easier to weigh 500 g of something vs 7 C. Unfortunately a lot of recipes out there are in C and not OZ so I am slowly converting using the Cake Bible weight measurment chart for some guidance as 1 cup of differnt ingredients does not all weigh the same amount.

Mikel79 Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:27am
post #15 of 17

It sounds like I need to invest in a food scale. But like you said, it might be a little difficult since most of my recipes are cups, not grams.

Thank you all!

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:29am
post #16 of 17

Mike, it is easy to convert recipes to grams and you will always have exactly the same recipe, never again will it depend how much you can put into a cup, grams are definately the way to go.

Good luck.

sweetiesbykim Posted 2 May 2010 , 2:51pm
post #17 of 17

...but just remember -1 cup of flour does not weigh the same as 1 cup of flaked coconut, 1 cup of corn syrup, 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of packed brown sugar, etc. They all have different weights per cup. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%