post #1 of 31

is called to order

Who's up?

Whatcha workin' on?

30 replies
Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:36am
post #2 of 31

not baking today (lots of baking next tuesday night though) but just wanted to pop in and say Leah, my hubby ordered the agbay leveller for me - you should get commission icon_wink.gif

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:40am
post #3 of 31

Hey, I was looking for you a while ago! Not doin anything tonight, but have to work on a graduation cake tomorrow. I made the cake and the gum paste flowers this week and will try my first smbc tomorrow. The gp roses were interesting; haven't done them in over 3 years and it took a while to dust off my brain cells.

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:40am
post #4 of 31

Started the baking for my son's band banquet cookie bouquets. We made about 1/3 of them tonight-- Sunday the rest of the band boosters get together to finish baking and decorating. They will get a quick lesson from me on royal icing and color flow- and then I am going to let them at it!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:42am
post #5 of 31

Awww . . . I just try to spread the word about good cake stuff!

I don't have cakes this weekend either, Here in Louisville it's DERBY weekend! I'm making lunches for the guests in our B&B. Then going upstairs to rest and relax. Back to wedding and party cakes next week though!

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:45am
post #6 of 31

Forgot about the Derby. Do you have your hat picked out for the race? icon_biggrin.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:46am
post #7 of 31

Big cake weekend for me.
3 tier cake (100 servings) for the DVD premier for AWEtism productions and then 2 tier centerpiece cake and 6 full kitchen cakes for a farewell party for a priest.

I am really tired of buttercream frosting right now icon_rolleyes.gif

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:49am
post #8 of 31

No cakes this weekend. Several next week. I am baking pies tomorrow! NOT Derby Pies though. (Leah is in Northern KY and I am in Southern KY. Life will stop tomorrow for the running of the roses.) Our church sponsors a Relay for Life team auction on Sunday. So, pies are my contribution. Can't wait to see what they bring this year!

mykidscakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mykidscakemaker Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:51am
post #9 of 31

I'm up. Working on a first birthday balloon themed cake. And then onto a Nintendo themed cake.

Can someone put the coffee on please??

leah_s Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:54am
post #10 of 31

That's funny, LKing. Louisville natives would never refer to Louisville as northern KY! Northern KY is Florence/Edgewood/Covington or "Cincinnati south".

And goodness no, we're not going to the Derby. That's for out of towners. The natives are here to make money off the guests. icon_smile.gif

I'll likely make a "Horserace Pie" tomorrow. No one here dares to call it by that other name, as it's copyrighted and the owner will sue anyone and everyone for using the name without permission.

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:56am
post #11 of 31

I got all of my stuff done early (weird) and now I have nothing to do on a Friday night. It feels weird..like I'm forgetting something icon_smile.gif I have literally checked the order sheets a zillion times!! I am glad the week is almost over...I'm deeming this week the week of the "high maintenance".

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:56am
post #12 of 31

A word of warning: I work in a grocery store bakery.

ok, now that I've warned you;

Last time I counted, we had 125 cake orders for tomorrow. I say last time I counted because I left work today at 6pm and I'm sure we've gotten more since then. It's our new company policy that we don't turn down any cake orders.

EVER.

I was scheduled to come in at 7am, but I've decided to come in at 5am. There is going to be two other girls with me and another coming in an 11am. We'll see if we stay afloat.

BTW, if you guys see a big mushroom cloud coming from the MN area, you know it's me.

So I'm off to bed to get some sleep so I can wake up sprinting.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:57am
post #13 of 31

only cupcakes for me this weekend. My mom ordered them for my cousin's anniversary, they're going to be shipped from Southern CA to Northern CA. Crossing my fingers they arrive intact! I got a plastic hinge container (1 dozen size) and was planning on putting glue dots to keep them from tipping. Hopefully the post office will keep them upright if we mark the package?
Also, I was so impressed with Macsmom's Creamsicle recipe that I am obsessed & want to try with strawberry, lime, raspberry... so gonna try out strawberry this weekend. My co-workers are always appreciative of my experiments LOL
Oh and it's friday! woo hoo! (because I have a regular M-F job icon_rolleyes.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:00am
post #14 of 31

I just finally got to sit down! Been in the kitchen all day. (My poor kiddos!) Filled a small cake order (flat cut out elephant...nice and not too many buttercream colors!)....had hubby deliver a gift bag cake, I handed out a Vikings cake.... then the rest of the day worked on mini desserts for a ladies tea I have been planning at my church for tomorrow. Made oversized petit fours (not very pretty ones) just chocolate cake layered with buttercream and then poured in ganache, then drizzled in white chocolate and put into mini cupcake papers. Also made little snowball tea cookies, put in mini papers too. And mini choc chip cookies.... and mini individual cheesecakes which I just put in the fridge.

Tomorrow morning have to make about 40 corsages out of mini carnations (because my hubby didn't know to try to find regular sized ones) and I've never done it before. This should be interesting. Then make sure all my games are ready to go and that I know what I'm doing for serving....

Then getting ready for a dinner thing at church the next day...

Then jumping back into a pretty busy cake week the following week.

Oh yeah, you said FRIDAY night cake club. Sorry all my days run together anymore!!!! icon_surprised.gif

mbark Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:02am
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

A word of warning: I work in a grocery store bakery.

ok, now that I've warned you;

Last time I counted, we had 125 cake orders for tomorrow. I say last time I counted because I left work today at 6pm and I'm sure we've gotten more since then. It's our new company policy that we don't turn down any cake orders.

EVER.

I was scheduled to come in at 7am, but I've decided to come in at 5am. There is going to be two other girls with me and another coming in an 11am. We'll see if we stay afloat.

BTW, if you guys see a big mushroom cloud coming from the MN area, you know it's me.

So I'm off to bed to get some sleep so I can wake up sprinting.

O...M....G....
I used to work in a grocery store as the cake decorator too & hated when people ordered bloody sliced fresh strawberries that I had to hand cut- especially for a full sheet cake!! Good luck with all that work.

leah_s Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:02am
post #16 of 31

Rose, all I can say is, icon_eek.gif .

mbark Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:18am
post #17 of 31

another thing Rose, you are getting overtime right?

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:20am
post #18 of 31

Nope, OT isn't approved. And we gotta stay on top of our breaks too. Ever since that lawsuit a while ago, perhaps you all know what I'm talking about. . . .

mbark Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:22am
post #19 of 31

that's what I was afraid of. so many times girls in the bakery would work on their own time because things HAVE to get done no ifs ands or buts but the store won't give you enough hours to complete it. so not right!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:24am
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbark

that's what I was afraid of. so many times girls in the bakery would work on their own time because things HAVE to get done no ifs ands or buts but the store won't give you enough hours to complete it. so not right!

Yeah...something wrong with that picture....big time.

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:33am
post #21 of 31

First time joining you all at the FNCC and I'm taking a break from the second wedding cake for this weekend. First one was delivered today at 4pm and this one is for tomorrow at 4.

SPEAKING OF FRESHLY SLICED STRAWBERRIES...that's what I'm taking a break from to be exact. Three tiers and a kitchen cake all with fresh berries and stabilized whipped cream. I'm going to go to bed smelling like my daughter's pink Strawberry Shortcake video container. (Yes, the video case does indeed smell like cheap strawberry candy! lol!)

Gotta go pick up the knife again...check back w/ you all later! icon_biggrin.gif

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:43am
post #22 of 31

had a busy week here! cake due tuesday, mini cupcakes due thursday. had a 3 tier triathalon cake due this afternoon for the grand opening of a cycling/multi sport store. then i have a kentucky derby cake due tom. for a 1 year old's bday party (i think the party is really for the dad but whatevs!). i also have a polka dot cake due tom. that is inspired by the birthday girl's dress. and lastly i have a birthday cake due tom. for a girl who loves to do pole dancing (for her hubby) and is an avid hunter...how bout that for a juxtaposition!. so they ordered a stage with a pole as the cake and the floor of the stage is going to be camoflage pattern. should be interesting icon_wink.gif i think the tag line will say, "give a twirl for the birthday girl" or something like that!

cakeaddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddiction Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:46am
post #23 of 31

Earlier today I was in the kitchen working on my pokemon ball cc's. After a little break I have been working on figures for my mother's day cake for next weekend. My mom loves baths, so I'm doing a figure to go in a tub. It's going to be a take on Maisie Parrish's In the spa cake. Ive got the hippo parts made but going more the route of a bath vs spa. Done for the night I think, finishing cleaning up the mess now. lol

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:38am
post #24 of 31
Quote:

Nope, OT isn't approved. And we gotta stay on top of our breaks too. Ever since that lawsuit a while ago, perhaps you all know what I'm talking about. . . .

I know exactly what you mean. I quit my grocery store cake decorating job a few days before Christmas. We were allowed no overtime as well and some days I didn't even get a break. I work for an individual now and I hope to never have to go back to the grocery store.

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:50am
post #25 of 31

fist timer for the fncc. just finished my dummy for an anniversary cake and the minis to hand out for a store. if i could beam sunshine i would...that's how much i love this cake! then i checked on the 8" photo smash cake and it has a bubble in the buttercream....i've never had this happen to me before. oye!

i couldn't imagine 125 orders...you are only human. not an animal on a machine. i'll be thinking of you tomorrow...

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:57am
post #26 of 31

I'm here too - but just checking in -- just finished two - 3 tier weddings cakes and 1 grooms cake for tomorrow. We are about to get hit with the storms moving across the mid-section with tornado warnings popping every few minutes. I got scared about getting hit by one and put the wedding cakes in 2 chest freezers in my mom's basement! At least if we get blown away - i'm hoping the cakes would survive for the weddings!

Good night - and hopefully this storm will subside quite a bit before it hits here -- and you!

Suze

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 1 May 2010 , 5:00am
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede-cakes

First time joining you all at the FNCC and I'm taking a break from the second wedding cake for this weekend. First one was delivered today at 4pm and this one is for tomorrow at 4.

SPEAKING OF FRESHLY SLICED STRAWBERRIES...that's what I'm taking a break from to be exact. Three tiers and a kitchen cake all with fresh berries and stabilized whipped cream. I'm going to go to bed smelling like my daughter's pink Strawberry Shortcake video container. (Yes, the video case does indeed smell like cheap strawberry candy! lol!)

Gotta go pick up the knife again...check back w/ you all later! icon_biggrin.gif

Yep, I used to merchandise DVDs and every time I was alphabetizing the children's section it took me a couple of minutes to realize the smell was the Strawberry Shortcakes DVDs. LOL

I spent 10 hours on a storm trooper mask cake. Way too long for such a simple cake!

I tried Fondarific for the first time today. It's good, but I wasn't terribly impressed-especially for the price! Woo-wee. MMF is a lot cheaper! I also used Tappits for the first time today. Very nice!

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 1 May 2010 , 5:15am
post #28 of 31

Well, this has been a day from hell.... I got 7 pans filled with cake batter , and turned on the 2 ovens... then started the next 8 pans of spraying and filling with cake batter, then realized my neither of my 2 ovens beeped that they were up to temp... so I look, and neither of them is getting hot... not even close... I could touch the elements in both ovens, and they were barely lukewarm! icon_mad.gif well that is a holy crap moment! so I had to wait for my MIL to get home, then take all 15 pans over to her house, and use her ovens... she has 2 smaller ovens.. Thank God she helped me all afternoon, taking cakes out and putting batter in her ovens.. I didnt know what else to do...plus, I had to have my DH go to my supplier to get 6 sleeves of filling, and my dog had a bloody paw at one point today too... ugh! then of course, i had company all night, after my sons baseball game, and i haven't finished, or iced any of the cakes....crappy day , and Im sitting here when I should be working or sleeping!!!! Its gonna be a late night! back to work for me!

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 1 May 2010 , 5:40am
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceacake830

Im sitting here when I should be working or sleeping!!!! Its gonna be a late night! back to work for me!

Sorry you had such a crappy day. icon_sad.gif I hear ya!

I set my limit tonight for 1am, but every ten minutes I'm like "well...if I just do this much more." and then " I could stay up til 2 and then I'd have them stacked and can decorate tomorrow" We have an early day tomorrow with two of our three kids headed for Opening Day for town baseball and softball. 8:15am!!! icon_eek.gif So I'll get like 5 hrs of sleep and then finish the cakes tomorrow from 11-3. Nighty-nite, all!!

**(edited to add the letters r r y to the letters So. Gives it a whole different meaning than the one my stupid tired fingers originally mis-typed.)**

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 1 May 2010 , 8:47am
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

I know exactly what you mean. I quit my grocery store cake decorating job a few days before Christmas. We were allowed no overtime as well and some days I didn't even get a break. I work for an individual now and I hope to never have to go back to the grocery store.

That's what I'm dreaming of right now. I've got a couple feelers out with a few local bakeries, but they all just said they would "let me know if they needed any help this grad season." We'll see. . .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%